CHAPTER TWO : FAMILY REUNION

[ Jason's POV ]

A man tackled me to the ground, pinning me by my shoulders. My body caught fire and he screamed, clawing at his face as he fell back.

Someone helped me up whom I assumed was Gavin telling us to dip but it wasn't. It was me, yet it wasn't me. Everything about me was dark. My clothes, my skin, my hair, my looks, my eyes. It was my shadow. And that girl was controlling them.

Her entire body was white, I could even see her veins. Her eyes were bloodshot red as if they were bleeding. She screamed in pain as the shadows obeyed her, fighting off the men. It was draining her.

Her eyes slowly faded into their regular green colour and she blinked. I knew what was gonna happen before it did happen. I would've so let her fall but she practically saved our lives. I ran under her and she fell right into my arms. She was unconscious, barely breathing, but alive. I expected in her current state her little army was going to turn back into shadows but they didn't. They just stood around, no idea what to do.

Me and Gavin walked back to this dump - I mean hotel and lay her on bed in what I assumed was her room since all the shadows went there without hesitation. There was a lot of homeless people around but they didn't seem bothered by the walking shadows. They must've already known about her and was used to it.

Me and Gavin played cards with our shadows as Athena fought hers playfully. Suddenly, the shadows dropped to normal shadows and we turned to the girl. She was awake and was rubbing her temple. The phone across the room rang and I jumped up to answer it but she stopped me.

" Leave it " she ordered me. I did what she told me. Seeing what she was able to do, she could kill me dead in one split second and I had no death wish.

" Scarlett. It's me " the phone spoke, it was voice mail. As soon as the voice spoke, Scarlett stopped dead in her tracks and jumped up, running to the phone but she didn't answer it. She just looked at it as a newfound discovery, " look. We did want to talk. You've grown a lot. So have your powers " the voice chuckled. I could see her wipe away tears. Wow. She had a heart. The voice continued, " I'm glad I get the chance to get through to you. I miss you. But you gotta give me a chance here. Meet me tonight at the docks downtown at 8PM if you believe me. I'll be alone. You can bring your new friends if you want but we both know what will happen if they try anything ". It gave a long beep and it was over. So were her tears. She looked at me, a stone expression on her face.

" You need to leave " she wiped her eyes once more and opened an old creaky wardrobe and put on a sweater. Gavin looked up from petting Athena, clearly not a fan of the suggestion.

" Why? " He asked, standing up, " we won't tell anyone ".

" Not sure about that " I scoffed. He punched my arm and looked back at Scarlett with pleading eyes but she didn't even soften.

" Yes but you will if they have a gun to your head " she snapped, ignoring my existence. This was it. I'm not gonna die because of this girl. She's dangerous and more powerful than anyone I've ever known.

" She's right, Gavin. Let's go "

" But - "

" Now. " I gritted. I waited as he put a leash on Athena, something he should've done the last time and sighed.

" Nice meeting you " I said, though I didn't mean it. She grunted as we let ourselves out the door. We walked down the neighborhood for about a good quiet 15 minutes before Gavin decided to open his mouth.

" Why'd we leave? What if she's in danger? "

" A good reason to stay away from her " I replied. He was quiet before replying again.