chapter eight | the apology.

also, remember to leave funny comments. i like those. and remember to vote! thanks for all the support.

***

"shh, it's okay." caleb whispered with a smile. his hands were on sadie's cheeks and their faces were only centimeters apart. the redheaded girl was still bawling, though her boyfriend was doing his best to comfort her.

he already told her that she could stay at his house until she was ready to go home. however, in caleb's opinion she should've went home right away. in his words, "you should never leave a fight unattended". besides that, he knew that sadie and dacre truly cared about eachother. even though she constantly complained about him, he knew that she needed him in her life.

~~~

"m-mih-m-millie!" finn exclaimed, grinning from ear to ear. he'd just opened the front door and saw millie standing on his porch. he was very enthusiastic to see her.

"w-why are you h-h-here? i mean i-i-i-i'm not co-com-c-complaining!" he added. the girl cracked a smile and bit her lower lip.

"i was bored." she explained. it was only partly true, however.

she was very bored, but she was also extremely lonely. she didn't really have any way of communicating with her very few friends and her father wouldn't provide her with any company. so she decided to simply sneak out and go to finn's house.

there was something about finn that she couldn't get enough of. though she had no idea what it was. it was a weird feeling, although it wasn't really a feeling. it was simply indescribable.

the two teens walked into the house and finn led her to the really nice, modern kitchen. millie was kind of amazed by the shiny appliances and gadgets. her small house only had things that were old and decrepid. it was cool to see the latest and greatest.

"d-do you w-w-w-w-want a dr-drink?" the tall boy offered. millie thought about it for a second and then nodded slowly.

"do you have soda?" she questioned. finn smiled and opened the refridgerator door. he reached into the magical box of coldness and pulled out a chilled can of cherry pepsi.

"is th-this alright?" he asked, wanting to make sure she was happy with her beverage.

"it's perfect." millie responded. pepsi was always one of her favorite sodas.

finn handed her the cold drink and watched her open it. it was hard for him not to simply admire everything she did. he'd never met anyone like her before, she was amazing. he felt bad for being so obsessed with her, but he couldn't help himself.

she was so unique. most of the girls her age were obsessed with their looks and were very stuck up. millie wasn't, she was happy just being herself, and finn loved that about her.

"wh-wh-what do you wanna d-d-d-do?" finn questioned shyly, looking down at his feet. millie smiled and shrugged.

"i don't care. whatever you wanna do." she replied.

finn quickly racked his brain in an attempt to think of a fun activity they could do together. suddenly, an idea popped into his head and he ran towards his bedroom. millie wasn't sure if she should follow him or stay put.

less than a minute later, finn walked out of his room carrying a small cardboard box. a box of playing cards, to be exact. he went over to the dining room table and pulled out a chair.

"i'll t-teach you h-h-h-how to play gin r-ruh-r-rummy." he stated with a soft grin on his face. he'd first learned to play the game when he was in the hospital. he was quite excited to play it with his new friend.

millie took a seat across from finn. he started to explain the rules but she was too busy studying his facial features. there was something about him that was just different, and she liked it.

"uh... could you maybe go over the rules again?" millie said shyly. she felt her cheeks heat up a bit, it was quite embarassing for her. finn simply smiled and nodded.

"y-you draw a c-car-cuh-card or pick one off the b-b-b-b-board. you can p-pl-play in straights or t-th-three of a k-kind. we are gonna d-d-do three of a k-k-k-k-kind. so you try to get three m-matching cards.-" he went on to explain the mechanics and whatnot of the game, this time millie paid close attention.

after he was done explaining, they began to play. millie was a bit confused at first however she quickly got the hang of it.

"do you have a girlfriend?" she blurted out. it was sort of an accident that she said that. she was very caught up in the game and it simply slipped out.

finn laughed and shook his head. "of course n-n-not. no g-girl would l-l-l-like m-m-me."

millie's heart dropped. she didn't know why he would think so low of himself.

"why do you say that?" she asked. finn inhaled and cracked a smile.

"first of all, m-m-m-m-my st-st-stuh-stutter is really annoying. s-s-s-second, i'm so sc-s-scrawny. most girls like b-b-boys with s-s-six packs and biceps." he responded, laughing a bit at the end. finn always thought he was really funny, he often laughed at his own jokes.

"well, i'm not like most girls."

millie's eyes widened immediately after she said that. she just wanted to kick herself for saying something that stupid. poor naive finn was simply confused. he didn't really know what she meant by her remark, so he continued playing the game.

~~~

sadie was laughing and having the time of her life at caleb's house. they spent an entire evening having fun and watching movies together. it was much better than having to live under her dictator of a brother.

all of a sudden, the girl's phone lit up. she reached over to the coffee table and picked up the electronic device.

one new voicemail

she raised an eyebrow. she had no clue as to who would've sent her a voicemail. most of her friends simply texted her, she barely received a phone call.

"i'll be right back." she told her boyfriend with a smile on her face. caleb nodded and watched her begin to walk out of the room.

sadie tapped a couple buttons on her phone and then held it up to her ear so she could hear the message.

"hey uh... it's me, your brother. i know you... i... i know you don't want me to contact you but... damn it, i'm just sorry. like i'm not mad or anything, i'm just sorry. and... i hope you're okay. i really hope you're with your boyfriend and didn't sleep on a park bench. i wish i'd never yelled at you ever in the history of ever. i know i was a complete asshole and i understand if you can't forgive me. but i'm... i'm really sorry. i wish you were here with me. i wish you'd just come home and... i love you so much. you'll always be my sister, no matter what."

the redhead slowly put her phone down. she didn't really know what to think of her brother's voicemail. it was the first time he'd ever apologized to her, and it was the first time he said "i love you" in ages. for the first time in her life, she actually sort of missed her brother.

she actually wanted to go home.