chapter one | introduction.

FIRST REAL CHAPTER !! I hope you all enjoy this book. in my opinion, it's the best story i've written. thanks for all the funny comments, keep them coming! and remember to vote. thanks again for all the support! now get to reading.

***

millie stared at herself in the small, shiny bathroom mirror. tears stained her cheeks as the water droplets escaped from her eyes and ran down her face. she grabbed a pair of silver scissors that were lying on the countertop. the girl took a lock of her hair and placed it in between the sharp blade of the scissors. brunette hair began to rain down onto the countertop and the cold bathroom floor. after nearly five minutes of lopping off her beautiful brown hair, she was complete. 

she looked again in the mirror. her shoulder length hair had vanished and her locks were now about the length of a pixie cut. millie sniffled and let out a shaky breath.  the girl jolted when she heard a sudden knock on the door. she quickly began to run water in the basin of the sink to try and push her excess hair down the drain. seconds later the door handle fidgeted and the wooden door slammed open. all millie could do was stand there in fear.

a tall man with a rugged beard slowly walked into the miniscule room. he walked over to his daughter and placed a hand on her cheek, stroking it slightly with his thumb. 

"what the hell did you do to your hair?" he asked softly yet firmly. millie tried to say something but all that came out was a little squeak. she was too paralyzed with fear to say anything.

"you look like a boy." her father said. with that he walked out of the room.

the now shorthaired girl slumped down the wall until she hit the floor. she put her face into her hands and simply cried uncontrollably, because that was all she could do.

~~~

finn carried a small blue tray of food that looked disgusting. he slowly walked as he looked around the bustling school cafeteria. the boy was looking for an empty table to sit a, he always sat alone. mainly because everyone thought he was a freak.

he honestly didn't mind sitting alone. it gave him some time to peacefully think about life and what he would do after the hard day of school. most of the time he simply went home after school, as he was too tired to do much.

you're probably thinking, "why does everyone think finn is a freak? i'd love to be his friend and possibly his girlfriend!". that's what i assume you're thinking, if not, my apologies. finn has one little problem, i guess you could call it. i'd tell you what that problem is, but you're going to find out what it is in just a second.

"huh-huh-hey fuh-fuh-fr-freak!" gaten, one of the most popular kids at school, said menacingly to finn. the curly haired boy grunted and tried to ignore the boy's insult.

"it-it-it's not fun-fuh-funny." finn retorted. gaten and his little clique all laughed in unison at poor finn's stuttering.

how did finn get his stutter? it happened when he was eleven years old and playing in the pony league. it was the biggest game of the season and finn was up to bat. he gently tapped the metal baseball bat on the heal of his cleats and then got into position. he gritted his teeth and prepared himself for the incoming ball. the pitcher wound up and threw one hell of a pitch at a young finn wolfhard.

the sun was shining very hard that day and it was imparing finn's vision. he couldn't see the ball very well and it hit him right in the throat. he immediately collapsed onto the ground and was not responsive. coaches and players quickly rushed over to the unconscious boy. the ball struck his throat in just the right spot, almost completely destroying his voice box. it was a miracle that he was actually able to talk after that incident.

"g-g-go away." finn added. gaten looked at his friend, dustin, and let out a quick laugh. he shoved finn's shoulder quite hard and then the small group began to walk away.

finn didn't mind his stutter and he didn't mind sitting alone at lunch, he just wanted to be treated normal. that's all he wanted.