Coming Clean

Tre's POV

I was rudely awaken by my alarm at 6 am. It took me second to comprehend what was happening. I reached for my phone and turned off the alarm. I felt Billie's head move against me. He slowly opened his eyes and looked up at me, confused.

"Did I fall asleep?" He asked.

I laughed, "Yeah, you did pretty boy."

"Tre, I don't want to move. I want to stay here in your arms."

"As much as I'd like that pretty boy, we got a plane to catch."

Billie looked disappointed, "Oh, right."

He sat up and sighed. I knew he didn't want to go back home.

"Tre, can I tell you something?" He asked.

"You just did, dummy."

He rolled his eyes, "Shut up Tre. I'm serious."

"Ok, serious. What's up?"

He shook his head. I'm amazed he's not tired of my shit yet.

"When I'm with you it's like time just stops and it feels like my souls on fire." He began, "But when I leave reality snaps back in and time keeps going. When time keeps going it feels like it leaves me behind and I'm lost again."

I felt confused. "Billie, what are you saying?"

He took a deep breath and said, "I'm saying that... I want to be with you, as more than a friend. Tre, when I'm with you my heart is like a bomb. I just walk around feeling so miserable all the time but that night we spent together was the first time I ever truly felt happy."

I was stunned. I must sound pretty oblivious for thinking this, but I literally had no idea. I mean us sleeping together was just a drunk accident and last night was just me comforting a friend. This entire time Billie had built it up in his head. Now that I knew how he felt, it made me reevaluate everything.

"Come on Tre, say something." He pleaded.

"Uhm wow. I just, I just don't know what to say." Was all I managed to get out.

"Look I don't want to freak you out or anything. I wasn't going to say anything but last night I thought about my future and how if I don't tell you now than I could spend the rest of my life with some girl I don't actually want to be with."

"So, you've been thinking about leaving Adrienne?" I asked.

"I want to but..."

I cut him off, "Billie, I can't be the reason you leave Adrienne. You have to decide to do it on your own."

"But if I do leave her, could we be together?" He asked.

"I'm not sure. I mean, I've never thought of you that way before. Plus what would happen to the band?"

"I don't know. No one knows what the future holds, all I know is that night I spent with you was the first time you said you loved me. You can't tell me that meant nothing."

That's true. I did tell him I loved him. I meant it, but one thing was holding me back.

"When I asked you if Adrienne would be ok with us having sex and you said it was fine... you didn't tell her, did you?"

Billie didn't say anything, he just stared at me.

Suddenly I felt angry. He didn't need to say anything, silence is an answer.

"Oh my god... Did you just use me as an excuse because you weren't brave enough to leave her?"

Billie stared at me in horror, "How can you say that? It meant everything to me! I've had feelings for you since you joined the band. I never said anything before because... well, I was scared."

"Of what? That I wouldn't like you back?" I asked.

"Not just that. My family is kinda homophobic, y'know? Growing up in a small town exposed me to how cruel people can be, y'know? I figured most of our fans wouldn't care but I didn't know how my family or you guys would react."

I thought about everything that had happened in the last few weeks, and suddenly it all seemed different. Billie was so freaked out about what everyone would think that he'd rather stay in an abusive relationship with Adrienne. Oh fuck. I didn't feel angry anymore.

I took Billies hands and pulled him close to me.

"Tre...?"

That was all he managed to say before I kissed him. As Billie kissed me back all I could think about was how right this felt. I knew I wanted this but it had to be done right. I pulled away and he stared at me. He looked confused but hopeful.

"Ok. Billie, if you want to be together we can be, but only if we do it the right way. You have to tell Adrienne we had sex and break up with her. Be honest with her, than I'll know I wasn't just an excuse."

Billie was silent. I couldn't read what his face was saying.

He took my face in his hands and stared into my eyes.

"If I do this, can we be together?" His voice was shaking as he spoke.

"Of course, pretty boy."

He smiled and leaned in to kiss me again, but before he could we were interrupted by a loud banging at my door.

"Tre?! Are you in there?" It was Mike at my door. "Is Billie in there with you? Would you idiots hurry up! We're going to miss our flight!"