Chapter 159~!

I had to win, if just to see him again.

"You can't escape this, can you," Matthew whispered to me.

I shook my head, my cheek pressed close to his. "I couldn't do that. It would be too terrible."

"You're so brave," he breathed. "And I'm so proud of you."

My tears were hot against my cheeks and jaw. "I love you."

"I love you."

It seemed that he was reluctant to set me down, but he did anyway. I knew why, though. It was time.

When I parted from Matthew and was no longer invisible, I saw a few people looking at me. My gaze dropped to the ground at my feet instantly and I crossed my arms over my chest strongly. Though it was probably a stupid time to be shy, I had tears tracks on my face and not everyone needed to see them.

"Come on, Alice," the Scribe said, walking over and extending a hand to me. I didn't take it, but stayed at her side as we walked toward a door in the wall some yards away.

My legs were moving on their own. I wasn't telling them to take me toward my doom. Why was I walking?

I was shaking. Trembling. I could barely see straight. My stomach churned like a whirlpool that had gotten out of control and was sucking in huge cruise liners. 'No...'

A hand on mine. What? I looked back at who had stopped me. It was Alfred! He was looking at me sadly, like he hated how helpless he was to save me. The sight of such humanity in his eyes-- his eyes that matched my own now --brought even hotter tears out. I threw my arms around his chest and held him tight, just relishing the moment I had with my brother. If I was going to die, at least this was what I got before that happened.

Another set of arms came over, adding to the mix. I glimpsed green eyes and bright blond hair above thick, thick eyebrows. Next Matthew came, having been a little late to the party, and Ivan followed suit. Allistor, Shawn, Dylan, Francis, Yao, Toris, Elizabeta, Amaya, Feliks, Xiao Mei, Antonio, Kiku, and Tino filled out the group a few seconds later.

There were more people that cared, I knew that, and these were just the ones that had had soul fragments deep inside themselves. But the fact that they all, without even really speaking it out loud, had made the unanimous decision to see me off in one of the most meaningful ways possible, said a lot to me.

If they could do something like this, then the world was going to be okay. It only took a little gesture to change the world, and this was no little gesture. This was my world.

And my beautiful world cared for me.

"Thanks," I whispered, and the crowd parted for me. I guess it was in the very air, palpable as the people surrounding me: it was time.

As I broke free of the crowd and rejoined the Scribe's side, I resisted the urge to look back. If I did, I'd chicken out. I could feel it in my bones: I was so afraid. The sight of all their faces looking at me so sadly would be too much, and I'd never be able to go through with this battle to the death.

Suddenly, an image flashed in my mind's eye. It was of Milo and Tatiana lying dead on the floor, bullet wounds marring their skin. Then the sight of England missing most of his right arm joined in, and Matthew with that ugly scar on the side of his neck.

I'd do this for them. I had to. There was no other way.

I was almost at the door, and it was deathly quiet in the room. My footsteps and Vale's were the only sounds, which seemed to echo. All of a sudden I heard a loud shout that would have startled me greatly had my training been a failure.