Chapter 137~!

RECAP:

I reluctantly let go of Tael and opened the door after peeking through the peephole. I didn't see anyone. Was it a case of ding dong ditch? No, probably not. It was Christmas morning, after all. So, with that reasoning in mind, I opened the door...

------------------

...to see a giant package on the doorstep.

Yeah, this was not a joke. There was a huge gift just sitting on the doormat like it had every right to be there.

"...What?" I asked no one in particular. There was a big red bow tied on top, and a tag lay next to it. "Hey... Mattie? Were we expecting anything like this and you just forgot to tell me?"

My husband was standing beside me in an instant and peered down at the box curiously. "I... I don't think so..."

"I wanna see!" Tatiana declared, shooting up to poke her head between my legs and Matthew's. "Wow... It's so big! And pretty."

"Should we open it?" I inquired. Matthew bit his lower lip, then nodded a bit hesitantly.

"As long as it doesn't explode, eh?"

"Aw, don't say that!" I whined. "Now I'm afraid to-- AH!"

Boing! "Surprise!"

"P-Papa?" Matthew yelped, stumbling back.

The box had opened itself from the inside and France had popped up, dressed like Santa! (Without the beard and belly like a bowl full of jelly, naturally).

"Joyeux Noel!" he cheered.

While I was doubled over in laughter, my kids were on their feet and swarming the box to say hello and hug their grandfather (of sorts). France climbed out of the box, picked up Tia and Evan under an arm each, and carried them inside while Milo trailed after him.

"What're you doin' here, Papa?" Tia asked excitedly between giggles.

"It's Christmas, ma fleur! Why wouldn't I be 'ere?" he answered. "Mathieu, did your phone die? I sent you a text earlier about coming over, but you never answered."

"O-Oh... Maybe it did die..." Matthew replied sheepishly. "Whoops."

"Oh well. We've got plenty of food," I said.

France made himself comfortable and handed out presents to everyone, which the kids tore into with gusto. Tatiana got a beautiful doll with a hand-sewn dress (whether France himself made it remains to be seen) and beautiful hand-painted face. She squealed and hugged it to her chest, rocking side to side with glee. Tael got a black beret that really looked good with his multi-colored hair, though he had to ask for help with putting it on so it wouldn't fall off with every turn of his head.

Evan got a French book and candies that he absolutely loved. I could barely convince him to give me the bag for safekeeping!

"Thanks, Papa!" Milo said as he tried on his new and very stylish jacket.

(A/N: Yes, some people call their grandfathers Papa. That's what I do with my grandpa, after all. Okie dokie? Sorry for the interruption!)

"De rien," Francis replied with a bright smile. "I 'ope you like zhem."

I was still a little confused about why France had just shown up, but I shrugged it off and enjoyed opening my gifts and watching everyone else open theirs.

Knock knock

"Eh?" Mattie said, looking at the front door. "Papa, was anyone else coming besides you?"