Chapter 146~!

Japan and Taiwan were watching South Korea and me duke it out in the dojo on the morning of my sixth day of training. Needless to say I was sore and grouchy, but I was coping with the vigorous routines.

And for once, it seemed as though I was holding my own against him! This calls for celebration!

I blocked, kicked, swung my fists or a stiff hand in a karate chopping position, all with fluidity I didn't know I was capable of. The look on South Korea's face was growing more and more proud (or maybe excited) as our duel went on longer and longer. We were definitely breaking my earlier personal best of less than a minute.

"Yeah, you're getting it!" he called, making to kick the back of my knee when he spun and got behind me. I couldn't help grinning as I dodged his attack and moved away, keeping my arms up in a defensive position.

Of course, cockiness was my undoing in that battle.

I'd been so focused on Yong Soo that I didn't see Leon moving around in the peripherals of my vision. And he had a long string of firecrackers in his hand, along with a lighter.

CRACK BANG CRACK CRACK!

My undignified shriek and loss of composure cost me dearly in the fight. Korea wasn't affected and he managed to send me sprawling with a few well-placed blows to my legs and torso.

When I stopped rolling, I got to my knees and coughed into a fist. "Dammit..."

"You've gotta be ready for anything, da ze," Korea said as he gave me a hand up. "Surprise attacks originated in me, you know."

I tried not to roll my eyes as I ran my hand through my hair and sort of gave it a semblance of tameness.

"Come on, let's do it again," he suggested, and I got into a defensive position all over again.

~

"Hey, honey," I said tiredly into my cell phone.

Mattie replied sweetly with a "Hi, love. How has training been?"

"Draining," I answered dramatically. "Utterly tiring. I can barely move right now."

"You'll do really well, though. I know it," he said encouragingly. "Tia wants to talk to you. She won't stop tapping my arm. Want to talk to her?"

"Of course!" I cheered. "Put her on, pretty please~?"

"Here she is," Matthew said as he gave the phone to Tatiana.

My baby girl all but yelled into the phone "HI, MOMMY!"

"Hi, Tia!" I laughed. "How was school?"

"We're growing butterflies!" she exclaimed excitedly. "We're gonna let 'em go in the spring!"

"That's awesome! What kind are they?" I asked.

"Painted Ladies," Tatiana said. "That's a funny name~"

I giggled. "It is, isn't it."

I listened as she jabbered on and on about how cool it was to look at the "Chrissy-lissies" on the side of the mesh container they were in. Apparently she and her friend Andrew were going to feed them once or twice when the butterflies finally started hatching.

Then it was one of the other kids' turn, and Milo was put on the phone next. "Hi, Mom!"

"Hi, sweetie," I replied. "How are you doing?"

"I caught a cold, but I'm okay," he said, sounding a little stuffy.

"Oh, no," I sympathized. "You're taking your medicine and getting plenty of rest, right?"