Chapter 140~!

The rate at which he was fading seemed sporadic. At first it was just his hands that seemed to be going, and then his feet had begun to vanish from sight. He could still walk, somehow, but the invisibility was creeping up his legs and engulfing them more and more with every passing minute.

Yet, at some point, the tears dried up.

"Germany..." Italy said in a breathy whisper as he risked a glance at who had been his best friend for over a century. "You won't... forget me, r-right?"

"Vhat kind of a question is zhat?" Germany replied with a kind look most other people rarely saw. Still, Italy knew it well. "I vould never forget you, Italy. Und I von't have zhe chance to because Japan vill be back vith Kadi any moment now." His determined gaze set in once more, and he peered down the hall carefully to see if anyone was coming.

So far, no one was in sight.

'Zhis is bad... He's looking even more transparent zhan before' Germany groaned mentally as he looked Italy over. The auburn-haired country seemed to be in shock, and heavily so, because his blank stare was impenetrable.

"Italy, hey, don't stop talking to me," Germany advised. "Okay?"

"I don't-a... know what to talk about," Italy replied softly. Was his voice being so quiet a byproduct of this whole phenomenon?

"It doesn't matter, anyzhing. Tell me all about your favorite pastas in exact order," he decided, steeling himself for a very long, one-sided conversation about food.

But it didn't come. Italy shook his head and leaned into Germany's side, letting out a tired breath.

"You know, Germany... for once, I'm-a not hungry," Feliciano whispered.

The blond's arm, like a tether to reality, was around Italy's shoulders in an instant. "I know... I know you're not hungry. But you're not going to disappear." A half-hearted chuckle escaped from his throat. "I can't let you keep skipping out on training."

That made one corner of Italy's mouth pull up ever so slightly. "Sì..."

"Just... promise you von't disappear, Italy," Germany said, speaking gently. "Ve made a promise to each ozher, remember?"

"The one... where we'd always be friends?" Italy asked.

"Ja, zhat's zhe vone. You can't break zhat promise, Italy. It's not allowed."

He nodded against Germany's side and slowly shut his weary eyes.

However, he shut them just in time for a new presence to come bursting through the front door and into the foyer as he shouted his younger brother's name at the top of his lungs.

"Veneziano!" Romano all but roared.

Italy's honey-brown eyes shot open, and he managed to sit up again. "Fr-Fratello?"

"Idiota! I can't-a believe this is-a happening! Get up!" Romano ordered as he grabbed Italy's upper arm and made him stand. It was shaky for the nation, but he managed to stay upright by clinging to his older brother for support.

"Fratello! You can't be here, it's-a not safe!" Italy cried out. Germany got to his feet as well, ignoring the numbness in his toes.

"Shut up and-a come with me!" Romano yelled, dragging Italy to the door and unceremoniously tossing him out. When the younger of the two brothers hit the ground, his disappearing limbs had returned! On visible feet, he whirled around to see his fratello suddenly suffering the same fate he'd been subjected to only a few seconds ago. His hands were already starting to fade...