On the run

We had escaped off the roof by climbing through the window in the attic. We  jumped off and landed on a pile of leaves. Even with the somewhat cushion of the jump, it still felt like I had broken an ankle or two. Sirens blared annoyingly in the front yard and the whole time he was as calm as ever. He was eerily quiet also. I heard steps coming from the side of the house. I think he did too and he pulled me up from the ground and half ran the long  length of my backyard with me in tow.  It was hard to stay at his speed. I had to run with his pace and was already huffing when we came to a stop.

"We're going to jump the fence. You first." he said already trying to pick me up over the fence. I pulled myself over the wooden fence and jumped over. I stumbled but caught myself before I fell. He followed in pursuit easily and dropped down somehow without even a thump. 

"Clear." we heard from the other side of the fence. They were just a bit to late to catch him. Us. As soon as he heard their steps fade he looked at me and put one finger to his mouth and then pointed to the forest. I nodded my head and followed when he started to walk to the forest. I turned back one last time. I don't think i'll ever come back. Everything is changing. I'm sorry mom. Please forgive me. As I turned away I felt an invisible mask go over my face and a thin protective layer of skin go over my body. I'll do everything I can to protect them. Even if it costs me my life. After all it was all my fault that he was lead here. In my head I was taking my old me and putting him in a cage. Poking with a knife till he was taking up a small corner of the cell. 

We walked for a while but I didn't really notice. I was walking without objective. My only purpose was to make sure to follow him.

"Was that your real name?" I asked a bit to loudly. I hadn't talked for hours and my voice sounded screechy. I cringed at the sound. 

He looked back curiously at me. " Correct. I was wondering if you were ever going to actually say my name."

"Colys?" I said wondering if I said it right. He nodded and turned to continue walking. He took out a cigarette and lit it with a match. He took a drag and blew out a ring of smoke. 

"Why did you come after me?" I asked bluntly. It wasn't courage that helped me ask but rather anger I think. 

He took another puff of the cigarette but blew out the smoke regularly. "Why wouldn't I. Me and you. We're a lot alike. I just felt like it to be honest." he said indifferently.

"We are not alike! I am not a killer and that's a bull sh*t answer!" I yelled.

"Listen kid, i'm getting bored so how bout we stay silent like we were. I don't need a cry baby to tag along."

I went to say something else but as soon as the first syllable came out he flung his knife at me. It missed by an inch.

" I missed on purpose, next time I won't. Now please be quiet."  He looked around for a second " Oh we're here."  He took to knife embedded in the tree and then scampered through the tree line of the forest. There was a road dead a head with a lone red sports car.  He smiled and ran all the way there. He jumped in and revved it up as if to greet it. I caught up and got in also. The seats were leather and it smelled like cherries. It's not what I thought he would drive. He must be rich or he stole it. 

"Where are we going?"

"California." 

With that he sped off and the journey had begun.