four.

CHAPTER FOUR.
'that was all he needed to understand'

-

"mike! mike hold up!"

mike turned around, "oh, hey max"

"you.. you're okay? you seem... tired"

"yeah, yeah i'm fine, just- rough night" he rubbed his forehead with the palm of his hand.

max nodded, "i need to show you something"

eleven walked through the hallways once again, only this time was different. for many months, she had walked through the same hallways avoiding her friends, and most importantly: mike.

but not this time. this time was completely different. in fact, her target was mike.

looking around, she finally spotted him, just a few meters away. she smiled, his back was to her. he shifted a little in the spot, a redhead came to her view. el's smile turned into a frown.

maybe this was a bad idea.

'maybe?' this was totally a horrible idea.

her confidence suddenly dropped to zero and she turned around, starting to walk away again. suddenly she stopped, a thought striking her mind.

"you and mike are.. different. your love is so strong, it- it could never break"

"unbreakable love" she mumbled to herself.

she took in a breath, turned around, and starting walking up to mike and max again. max caught eye of the brunette first, she would have never expected eleven to be walking towards them, hence her surprised expression planted on her face, usually it was the opposite, el would be walking away.

jane gazed at her back, trying her best to not feel intimidated and end up turning around again. she finally stopped walking, she was right behind of mike. she couldn't believe she was doing this.

"mike"

he froze. how could he not recognize that voice?

he literally froze. max looked back and forwards between the two. mike just stood there. is he seriously this stupid? she hit his chest, unfreezing him and he turned around to see probably the most beautiful girl he'd ever seen.

sure he had seen her a lot, enough to know she's always this beautiful, but it'd been a while since they hadn't been this close, and he was just amazed.

"e-el- i mean. jane. uh- h-hi"

max quietly stood behind the two, a little smile of excitement planted on her face.

"can we talk?... alone?" she looked at max and then back up at him. he nodded immediately. maybe too immediately.

he mentally slapped himself for seeming so desperate.

eleven locked the door from the janitor's closet before turning to mike. she looked up, meeting his dark eyes. oh how she'd missed those.

"i think we need to talk. and, you know, solve things up" she said, stuttering a little.

"yes." ,he said immediately, "i need to talk to you, jane"

"okay, but not here. please. let's- let's meet tonight? are you free?"

mike nodded.

"we- we can't go to the cabin, though. joyce is coming over to have dinner with hopper and-"

"it's fine, you can come over. no one's home tonight"

eleven smiled and nodded, tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. mike just stared at her, taking in all of her features. there was really nothing else to say, so she licked her lips and turned around.

she grabbed the knob of the door just when she heard his voice again. she stopped.

"jane?"  she looked back at him.

"do you believe me?" he asked. he didn't exactly understand this whole situation. why did she want to talk to him? was she finally forgiving him?

he looked so nervous. it was adorable.

eleven smiled.

"well my name is mike, short for michael...

"it's not jane." she mumbled, looking down at her hands.

mike frowned, his expression changing from nervous to confused. she looked up at him.

"my name", she said, "it's not jane", and her eyes met his,

"it's el, short for eleven." she said, a grin dancing on her lips.

the corners of his lips turned upwards, forming a smile as a flashback played in both of their minds.

...maybe we can call you 'el', short for eleven."

and that was all he needed to understand.

-