five.

CHAPTER FIVE
'i guess i'm just scared'

-

mike looked up at the clock. 7:01pm. she has to arrive anytime now. the palms of his hands were sweating, he had been biting his nails for the past half an hour, pacing around his room like a maniac.

he really didn't know why he felt this nervous. actually, on second thoughts, maybe he did; this was his chance to get her back. this was it. and he was so anxious and he felt like he could throw up right there.

and suddenly the doorbell rang. he got startled since he was so deep into his thoughts. he was sitting down and his leg bounced up and down non stop. he immediately stood up once he heard the sound, looking at the door and taking a deep breath.

he took heavy steps to the door, and with a last deep breath, he opened it. the petite girl came to his view. she wore the same outfit that she wore at school before.

she looked really exhausted, but in mike's eyes she looked absolutely beautiful, she always did.

"mike" she breathed, giving him a small smile.

"el. hi"

her grin widened at the nickname.

"c-come in" he fully opened the door, the small girl walked in.

-

"are you ever taking it down?" she chuckled.

mike scratched the back of his neck, a blush creeping up his pale cheeks.

jane bent down, crawling into what was her fort a few years ago, what for her had been her real first home for a few days. her head was scrunched down a bit, since she had obviously grown these past years, and despite her petite body, the fort was real small for her.

she looked around her as she ran her fingers through the soft blankets. they smelled like mike, she still remembered how warm she felt when wrapped around her. she smiled, bringing one of the blankets and scrunched it up to her chest, feeling the fluffy fabric against her skin.

mike watched her carefully, his eyes followed her delicate actions. she eventually looked up at him, her face grew warm as she saw he was already looking at her.

he never failed to make her nervous. no matter what.

"you sure don't fit in here anymore" she said.

mike chuckled. "i know"

his smile slowly faded away, as memories of the past months full of pain and confusion filled his head.

"el?" he spoke up.

"y-yeah?" she looked up from her folded hands resting on her lap. her eyes met his.

"max and i," he sighed, "we never kissed, alright? that night, she was drunk as hell. i was helping her to clean up. she was really drunk and wobbly and-" he stopped himself, knowing he was starting to ramble again.

eleven learned that was something he did when he didn't know how to explain himself, or when he was nervous.

el's eyes were wide. although not of surprise. as much as her head told her differently, deep down she knew mike wheeler would never hurt her. ever.