three.

CHAPTER THREE.
'you are so screwed harrington, so screwed'

-

max ran across the hallway, pushing people aside and trying her best not to lose sight of the brunette girl walking a few meters away from her.

"eleven! eleven! wait- excuse me - yeah well fuck you, check where- eleven!"

eleven turned her head to her side, checking who was calling her. as she caught the redhead close to her she swallowed, quickening her pace.

"no! eleven wait", she finally grabbed her by the wrist, turning her around, "eleven" she said breathlessly.

jane quickly pulled her wrist back, looking at the exhausted girl, who was catching her breath, with wide eyes.

"i need to talk to you" the redhead finally said.

"well, i don't" she turned around, walking away.

max rolled her eyes, starting walking behind her again. damn, like boyfriend like girlfriend.

"okay, okay. but please listen to me. mike and i- we, we never kissed, alright? that night, i was-"

eleven stopped and turned around.

"save it. troy told me everything"

"troy? what are you talking about?"

"he told me he saw you guys making out" she said, before turning around and walking away.

max stood there, lips parted, processing what she had just heard. she scoffed.

"unbelievable", she ran a hand through her hair, "truly unbelievable".

she turned around, thinking on what to do next, when she ironically saw troy just a few meters away from her. she thought for a second, an idea popping into her mind. she grabbed her backpack from her back and opened it, checking if she had her walkman with her. she did. she smiled and internally high-fived herself. she had a plan.

-

"troy harrington" a smirk grew wider on her lips as she crossed her arms, leaning against the wall.

troy's eyes widened.

"m-max mayfield" he stuttered.

troy had grown scared of max since that one day that she showed up with a bat with nails at school the day after he insulted her friends. let's say... he almost lost his head. max was sent to detention— but it was so worth it. now he had grown extremely scared of her and he hadn't  messed up with the gang again; until now.

"that's me"

"wh-what are you doing in the boys bathroom?"

"you see, troy. i thought i made myself clear when i told you to stay away from my friends" she walked up to him, ignoring his previous comment.

"i-i did-"

max sighed, "i hate a lot of things in this world, harrington, but the thing that i hate the most...", she stood face to face to him, "are lies".

"i'm- not lying"

max turned around, she placed her hands in her pockets and pursed her lips together.

"it has come to my attention that you told one of my friends something... about me and wheeler. a lie in particular"

troy gulped.

"i didn't"

max tilted her head to him.

"are you presuming i lie?"

"no! n-no, i mean- uh"

"yes? no?" she walked close to him again.

"i-"

"you told jane hopper that you saw me and wheeler making out, which we never did, didn't you?"

"i-"

"didn't you?!" she shouted, troy flinched.

"y-yes."

"i can't hear you!"

"y-yes! okay? i-i lied! it was a- lie. it was supposed to be a joke but i-"

"you are so screwed, harrington. so screwed"

troy closed his eyes, waiting for her knuckles to land on his cheek.

"but, i'm afraid. i have better and more important things to do, right now."

troy opened his eyes. max grabbed him by the collar of his shirt aggressively.

"but be aware. we are not done here"

she let him go and walked away, leaving a frightened troy behind her. as soon as she stepped out of the bathroom, she quickly grabbed her walkman from her pocket.

she pressed the stop button and then the replay button.

"y-yes! okay? i-i lied! it was a- lie. it was supposed to be a joke but i-"

-

jane hopper took in a deep breath, the TV in front of her. she grabbed her piece of cloth and wrapped it tightly around her head.

the picture that she'd thrown away days ago, rested on her lap. she took it carefully, placing it against her chest. as she took in another deep breath, her mind started working.

and suddenly, she was back in the void. black is all she could see as she walked, her bare feet hitting the cold water.

she turned around when she heard a faint noise. her expression softening as a bed with none other than mike wheeler laying on it appeared in between the darkness.

she walked slowly to him. as she got closer her noticed a few things. firstly, he was sleeping, he was softly snoring.

and secondly, he had something clenched against his chest. getting closer, she kneeled down on the floor next to the bed.

it was a picture of him and her. her heart broke at the sight and she looked up to his face. his cheeks had turned into a pinkish tone, which she knew that meant he had been crying.

he barely cried in front of anyone. it was rare seeing him with tears rolling down his cheeks.

his dark hair fell on his forehead. she knew she couldn't, but she did it anyways; her hand got close to his forehead, and softly, really softly, she brushed a strand of hair away from his eyes.

and just like that, he was gone. she breathed heavily, quickly taking her blindfold off and looking down at their picture, grasping on it tighter. with the sleeve of her shirt, she cleaned away the blood rolling down to her upper lip. she quickly went to her bed, throwing herself on it and crawling into a ball, the picture tightly against her chest.

tomorrow.