eleven

CHAPTER ELEVEN
'you drive me crazy, el hopper'
-

his arms tightened around the small, sleeping girl. her cheek was squished against her older brother's shoulder, her eyes shut and her mouth slightly hanging. i think you guys need time to figure things out. i do too. i'm bringing holly with me because she doesn't deserve this, to be suffering. i'll be back in a few days. el is coming with me. that's what the note said. he'd left it on the kitchen counter, hoping her mother would read it before she went to holly's bedroom to see no one. he didn't want to give her a heart attack.

mike fought back tears as he walked across the yard to his car, where el was waiting for him. despite the darkness, el could see mike and holly approaching the vehicle. she sat up a little and soon mike was already opening the backseat door, and placing holly into her chair, not forgetting to place her favorite stuffed animal above her little arm.

once she was settled, mike's gaze lingered on his sister. she did so not deserve any of this. he hates his parents for it.

mike sniffled and leaned forward, pressing a soft kiss to her forehead and closed the backseat door. he walked to the passengers seat and opened the door, sat down and closed it again. he sighed as he relaxed on his seat and he closed his eyes shut for a second. what the hell am i doing.

"hey" a soft voice echoed next to him.

he opened his eyes and tilted his head to the side. el was leaning on her side, giving him a small smile.

"she fell asleep?" she looked at holly behind them, then back at the boy.

mike leaned forward, and placed a hand to her cheek.

"what?" she giggled softly.

"i just... i love you so much"

she smiled widely, "i love you too. so much"

she leaned closer to him, placing a hand to the back of his neck and with the other she pushed the dark hair that fell onto his forehead to the side, to leave a lingering kiss there. then she was hugging him, her arms wrapped around his shoulders and her face buried in the crook of his neck, his arms held her waist.

"you'll get out of this, mike. i promise" she whispered.

he squeezed her tighter, "i know".

"mike, you need to stop driving for a while, it's been three hours"

"yeah, okay, i'll stop at a gas station and we can buy something to eat"

el hummed, looking out the window at the lights that reflected the crystal  as the cars past by. she lost track of time, not really focusing on the twists and turns the car made and suddenly they stopped. el sat up.

"eggos and coffee?" mike asked, after a moment of silence as he relaxed against his seat.

el giggled, "yes please".

mike nodded, though instead of leaving the vehicle , his gaze remained on the brunette sitting next to him. he was so happy she was back. wait. were they? he hadn't even asked her to be his girlfriend again. they'd just spontaneously had a make out session on the quarry (god, he missed her lips against his already), but that didn't mean they were together again, right?