Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A soft tap alerted me to a presence outside my room. I knew it wasn’t a guard – they hammered on the wood when they wanted something. Although I had been given an exquisite suite of rooms in Scorpius’s palace, I was still kept as a prisoner. Quickly, I slipped the glamour-enchanted bracelet onto my wrist and positioned myself in front of the elegant, carved-wood dressing table.

“Enter,” I called, inserting all the haughtiness I could muster into the one word. A human girl in servant-garb opened the door.

“Milady, Lord Scorpius has requested your presence. There is a visitor,” she stammered. I pretended to fuss over my appearance by fiddling with my hair.

“You may leave,” I told her. She curtsied low and scurried out of the room. I sighed, adjusted the constricting layers of silk that I wore and sauntered to the door. I glanced at the thick carpets, antique furniture and luxurious decorations. I preferred my old, simple cell to this elaborate comfort. I was still trapped, only now I was forced to pretend and wear a painful mask. In my old cell, I still had my own personality. I contemplated exposing Scorpius and Azure by taking off the glamour, but I knew nothing about their plans or intentions so that would simply get me killed and wouldn’t solve a thing. At least, if I kept up the disguise I had a chance of finding an escape.

Outside, I held my hands together behind my back. I felt the uncomfortable pressure of an enchantment binding my wrists. As Lady Alenry, I had some freedom – but Scorpius wasn’t taking any risks with me. The guards escorted me to one of the living rooms. The invisible shackles disintegrated as Scorpius rose from his seat. My eyes darted to the visitor, who also stood at my entrance. The visitor’s eyes lit up with excitement as he regarded me. I rolled my eyes. It had to be Lykos, of all people. I curtsied, the image of courtesy.

“Your Majesty. What brings you here? Business?”

He nodded in acknowledgement of my curtsey.

“Actually, I am here to visit you. A lady of such noble birth cannot leave my realm without being honoured first. As an apology, I have arranged something special for you.”

I groaned internally. Who knew that the Crown Prince of the Dark Fae would become so pathetic for a girl?

“An arrangement?” I stammered. “But the invitation to the ball tonight is already more of an honour than I deserve.”

I shot Scorpius dagger-glances. He wasn’t catching the hint and helping me. He shook his head; I was on my own.

“Nonsense. It has been my pleasure to arrange this,” answered Lykos.

I gritted my teeth,

“Your Majesty shouldn’t have gone to so much trouble.”

He smiled, his expression softening and his cat-like eyes glimmering,

“It was no trouble for you, My Lady. I shall give you some time, ten minutes or so, to prepare while I check the final arrangements.”

He sauntered away. I closed the door behind him.

“Why the hell didn’t you get me out of this?” I yelled at Scorpius. “Now I have to suffer with that stuck-up idiot!”

I shivered with the fresh memory of the beatings Lykos ordered. He had stood there and watched, as if it were some kind of sick entertainment. I suppose it had been to his twisted mind. Scorpius held up his hand to silence me.

“I’m afraid that I need you to go along with this.”

I started to protest, but he cut me off.