Chapter 20: Henry (Free)

Freedom had never felt so good. The Academy was bursting with questions when they found me and Snow, sleeping peacefully in our beds the following morning, but neither of us got into much description. My brothers swarmed me with hugs, which was totally unlike us, and Belle even gave me a kiss. Whatever had happened in the time that we'd been kidnapped had changed my friends, though. The situation seemed even more dire, now that we knew Will was at risk as well. Now that we knew that hundreds of people were at risk.

Early in the morning, just after breakfast, we split off. Belle went into the library with Han to research anyone who might hate everyone but the fairy tales. Although me and Snow volunteered to help, we were told to take a day to enjoy our freedom, just this once, to take a break. With every single one of my brothers lending a hand, and Rapunzel "guarding" Will with a frying pan, it left me and Snow with just one option. To hang out with each other.

Of course, given that I was madly in love with her, how could I refuse that? Something tugged at me to mourn Robin, but for now, I just wanted to enjoy the fact that we were both free and alive. There would be time to grieve for the dead later. Right now, I just wanted to live.

Where else could two teens live better than at Hansel and Gretel's? At the beginning of a school day—Snow and I were excused—the bakery was basically empty. The blonde Gretel served us hot chocolate with a hug, proclaiming how glad she was to see us back safe and sound. Hansel showed his appreciation by putting a steaming tray of freshly-baked pizza in front of us. There is nothing better in the world than a freshly-baked bakery pizza.

While we ate the pizza between us, neither one of us said anything to the other. After we clinked our mugs of hot chocolate together, silence felt like our best option. Part of me wanted to just kiss her ... but we'd never kissed before. I mean, sure, we'd been dating for months, but I'd never kissed her lips before. As awkward as that sounds.

Hansel and Gretel went into the back room. Snow continued to watch me, a little smile pricking at the end of her lips. "Seems weird, to be here after everything that's happened, doesn't it?" she said, breaking the silence.

I tried not to think about what had happened the last time we'd been here as a couple. "I guess it does," was all I ended up saying.

Snow got up and moved around the table, to my side. "We're free, Henry," she said. "Free to live. We've been given a chance, haven't we? We shouldn't waste it."

"I agree," I said, and I put my arms around her and kissed her.

Freedom really is sweet.