Chapter 18: Snow (Answer)

By some miracle, Henry managed to get the door to my cell open and pulled me out. He promised to get Robin or someone to unlock my cuffs for me, but I didn't care about them. I kissed him, even with my hands cuffed in front of me, and he brushed my hair out of my face. "I'm so glad you're alright," he whispered to me.

"I know something," I said. "I know who the killer is going after. I know why they said they were purifying the Academy."

Henry scooped me into his arms, my legs trembling too much to hold my own weight. "We'll think about that later," he promised. "Right now, we need to focus on getting out of here before they find us."

I nodded, leaning my head on his shoulder. "Right."

Once I was settled on Henry's shoulder, he set off down the hall. As much as I wanted to just drift off, I held on, both physically and mentally, wanting to be with him no matter what we found. I slipped my hand into his.

Footsteps. I went stiff, gripping Henry's arm as hard as I could. He froze, listening, and I squirmed. Who was there? Had we escaped the cells, just to meet the killer face-to-face?

Bump. The sound made us both jump. It sounded like someone falling. Had a body been thrown onto the ground? Was it another victim? What if it was one of Henry's brothers?

"Oww." An accented voice broke through the silence. "I tripped over your hair."

"Seriously?" Another voice complained. "Way to be quiet and stealthy, Shrimp!"

"For the last time, why I am Shrimp?" the boy demanded. "I'm taller than you are!"

"Height's got nothing to do with it," the other girl retorted. "It's your muscles, or lack thereof. Seriously, you've got the arms of a scarecrow, buddy."

Henry spoke, startling me. "Will! Rapunzel!"

They both fell silent. "Call me crazy, but I think I just heard a ghost," Rapunzel said. "Hank? Is that you?"

Henry moved impulsively forward, and I saw them standing just around the junction. Rapunzel with her freakishly long blonde hair, and Will, standing awkwardly, his face the same color as his surname. "You heard all that?" he said weakly.

Henry laughed. "I don't care! I'm too glad to see you all! Where's Robin?"

Rapunzel shifted awkwardly. "Robin's dead."

"W-what?" Henry stood there, frozen. I couldn't think of anything to say.

Instead, I spoke up. "I know who the killer is targeting," I said.

"Who?" Will brushed something from his cheek that looked suspiciously like a tear.

"He or she is going after non-fairy-tales," I explained. "He specifically told me that 'Harold was an accident'."

"So," Will said softly. "That means I might be next." Which was quite obviously not the answer he'd been hoping for from us.

Rapunzel put a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Hey, we're here for you. You wouldn't think we'd let you die, do you ... Shrimp?"

Will smiled a tiny bit at her, but I could see it trembling. I knew all of us, no matter what we said, were thinking of Robin. If we couldn't protect him ... how could we protect Will?