Chapter 17: Will (Trip)

It felt as if my whole world had fallen apart when Robin died. Everything seemed to stop with the Merry Men. None of us were capable of fully understanding the realization that Robin was gone and wasn't coming back. He had been our rock, and now he was gone. It was like we were lost without him.

It was for that reason that I was wandering the Academy by myself. I didn't want anyone's help or sympathy. I'd had far too much of that over the past day. Even though the others hadn't thought I should've been wandering around on my own, I couldn't stay in anyone's presence any longer. It hurt too much.

That was how I ended up in some unoccupied corner of the Academy, looking around, trying to seem as if I actually had a reason for being there other than aimless wanderings. I sighed. When did my life become so lonely?

"Hey, what're you doing?" The voice was blared loudly in my ear. I gave a strangled exclamation and stumbled back, looking first at the long blonde hair of Rapunzel.

"I—ah—wanted some privacy." There really was no way to put that without sounding really rude, and saying it fast would hopefully soften the blow.

Rapunzel frowned. "Is that such a good idea? I mean, you were almost killed, back at the library. And what're you doing in this corner of the Academy? There's nobody over here."

The way she spoke made me feel like some kind of an idiot. Her piercing green eyes stared at me, disapproving and annoyed. "I'm a fully grown man," I insisted. "It's not like I'm going to get attacked or anything."

"Oh?" Rapunzel raised her eyebrows. "And what difference did that make for Theseus? Or Harold? They were more muscular than you, shrimp. Do you really want to test your little theory?"

"I am not a shrimp," I protested, though I was thankful she hadn't included Robin in the list of victims. "And ... well ... you might be right. I probably shouldn't be here. I just wanted to be alone."

To her credit, Rapunzel smiled a little. "I understand. But maybe you can be alone with the rest of us?" She spoke teasingly.

I gave a tiny bit of a chuckle. It felt rather odd, almost wrong, after what had happened. Or maybe it was just because my stomach wound gave a twinge of pain when I laughed. "I suppose so. Just give me a minute."

Rapunzel watched me as I leaned against the wall, panting somewhat. My stomach was churning uncomfortably, both from the pain and whatever I ate that morning. I had the strangest feeling that I was falling.

Then I really was falling. My support behind me disappeared, and I stumbled back, falling backwards. Rapunzel cried out, but it sounded distant. She managed to catch my foot and stop me from sliding down all the way. "That would've been a nice trip," I said breathlessly as she dragged me back.

Rapunzel's eyes widened. "Yikes. You know what you've uncovered?"

"What?" I said, sitting up and brushing myself off.

"The dungeons," Rapunzel answered, and we both looked at the dark stairs spiraling downwards.