Aren't You Aware Of It?

XVIII

I stared at the three shopping bags placed neatly on the dresser in my room, which were not there until last night. Plus the room was free of any stray feathers or the torn pillowcase. Clearly someone had come in the room while I slept like a baby. Throwing the cover off, I took the bags and kept them in the closet and proceeded to get ready for work.

Taking a deep breath I descended the stairs and headed to the kitchen. I was expecting Duncan to be there in his dress shirt, hunched over the table as he went through his files. After last night's conversation with my mom, I felt more confused and regretful of my words towards Duncan. My choice of words were wrong. Wrong on so many different levels, but they still didn't justify his actions. My words had somehow triggered him but I didn't know how. It was like a puzzle where some pieces were missing and I had no idea where the missing pieces were. Duncan was like a combination of jigsaw puzzle and scavenger hunt, that I needed to solve to see the complete picture of who Duncan Marshall was, but I still didn't have the first clue. I slid the door open to be greeted by an empty kitchen. I blew a breath as I placed my bag on the table and went to the refrigerator. I plucked the yellow post it that was stuck on its door.

Gary will be driving you around.
-D

He does realise that he is breaking his one and only pre-marriage condition, right? Anyways, maybe some important meeting came up because of which he had to leave. But, on the brighter side, I'm not the one driving. And as long as I'm not the one driving, I'm good. Dumping the note in the trash can, I prepared myself a sandwich for breakfast. 

Around fifteen minutes later, I walked out of the front door to see Gary waiting for me. "Good morning, Gary. Sorry for keeping you waiting." I smiled at him, which he returned as he opened the car's back door for me. "Not a problem, Mrs Marshall." He replied as he got in the driver's seat after closing my door.

"Please Gary, do call me Evangeline or Angie. No need for formalities."

"Umm, Gary do you know when Duncan left for work?" I asked as Gary pulled the car out of the gate. He shot me a confused look through the rear view mirror before looking back at the road. "Ms Evangeline, today is Thursday." He replied slowly, emphasizing on 'Thursday' as if it was the answer to my question. "So? Is that supposed to mean something?" He watched me through the rear view mirror as I quirked an eyebrow at him. "On Thursdays, Mr Marshall works from home. Aren't you aware of it?"

I face-palmed. "I am." It was one of the things Duncan told me at the very beginning and I forgot. Does that mean he is avoiding me? Looks like he regretted his reaction but still didn't forgive me for my outburst. But I didn't apologise to him, so I really can't hold it against him. I puffed my cheeks as I leaned back into the car seat, watching the city pass.

On reaching the museum, I went straight to the lab for a long day at work. And by the time lunch rolled in, I was cooped up in my office working on paperwork and other details. As I worked, I couldn't help but stray back to last night's conversation with my mom.

"Mom, you've no idea what you're talking about." I leaned back into the pillows as I massaged  my slightly aching head with two fingers.

"Well, I know that you upset your husband who wasn't at fault."

"Mom, you don't know what transpired between us."

"I think I've an idea."

"Yeah?" I challenged.