Chapter 1

A/n: hey guys! Thank you for reading my book! Before you start I've noticed a lot of people reading them out of order. If that is how you prefer that is totally fine but, I feel there is more payoff if you read them in order. Here is the proper order for the series. I know it seems like a lot but, I promise if you saw the tags for this book and decided you were interested you will love this series.

Book 1- When the Pieces Fall
Book 2- All the Things Between us
Book 3- Lay me Down to Sleep
Book 4- Twelve Steps Forward
Book 5- Ourselves and our Posterity
Book 6- The Beginning

Omega Pov

I don't know what I'm doing anymore. Today is his birthday and I'm still here. He's going to know and soon. I don't know what he'll do once he finds out I'm his mate. Probably reject me. I need this though. I need him to know so I can at least have closure. Even if he kills me, this time I must go through with this.

My wolf whimpers inside me at the thought of what he could do to us. I love her dearly as she does me and in death, we will be separated. She's all I have left now. I fear to lose her so much that shivers run down my spine even now just thinking about it. We agreed though that we would stay until he knows.

Today is my Alpha's birthday. Today he will realize who I am. I already know I won't be accepted. He will take pride in choosing his own Luna. He will choose a strong and capable girl. He will never choose a lowly omega, especially not me.

I force myself off of the floor, still stiff from my restless night, I drag myself to the kitchen. I want to get his breakfast done as soon as possible so I can leave it in his room before he wakes. It is cowardly of me I know to avoid this, but I have spent the last five months dreading this day.

I quickly fix his favorite breakfast. It's his birthday and I'd like to be nice to him. I want to pretend for just a minute that I am his and that I'm just simply helping my mate celebrate his birthday. I smile at that. All I've ever wanted was to be loved. I guess that will remain fantasy though.

I bring his breakfast up to his room. Never has a door been so foreboding. I stare at the knob wondering if it's too late to drop his meal to run away and never look back. I chastise myself for my weakness. It's little wonder why he hurts me when I'm so easy to harm. My fear is my fault.

I put my hand on the knob, not turning it quite yet. The cool smooth metal feels foreign against my scarred calloused hand.

Taking a deep breath I slowly turn the knob. Every small squeak and click is catastrophic to my ears. I peek through just a bit to be sure I haven't woken him. Miniscule relief flows through me when I see no movement inside the dark room. I cautiously open the door the rest of the way.

Now for the worst part. I take one step silently into the room, then another. Inching my way forward my blood runs colder. His intoxicating scent becoming more potent and unbearable. I'm close enough that I can hear his gentle rhythmic breath. I see the slow rise and fall of his chest under the dark covers. As I approach, I realize he is facing me.

His eyes could flutter open at any second and see me. He's caught me bringing him breakfast before. I tremble to remember all the beatings I have taken for waking him so early. I must stand still for a moment to calm shaking form. More movement would mean more sound. I push my tongue between my teeth to stop the chattering. I'm a mere four feet from his bedside table and him. I advance again quickly now. I make it to his table and set down the tray ever so gently.

I look at him. His face is relaxed in his slumber. His features are not angry but instead soft. He is beautiful. I want nothing more than to lean down and gently press my lips to his cheek but, I wouldn't dare. A vile creature like me should never even have the privilege of seeing him like this yet, I am awful and selfish enough to crave more. I want those pleasurable tingles against my lips. I lean down just to take in his scent which is more than I deserve but, I can't help myself. He smells sweeter than one would expect. He smells minty and woodland.