t w e n t y f i v e

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"It's okay, I'm fine. Let's get out of here." I said, tugging Jase's sleeve. Aiden looked at me and then his gaze landed on the patch of blood on my shirt.

"Skies, you're bleeding." He tugged at my shirt as if trying to get it open. My cheeks blazed and I swatted his hands away.

"No shit Sherlock."

He frowned, "Who's Sherlock?"

I sighed.

"It's probably already healed, I don't feel any pain. See?" I pat my stomach as if to prove his point and then flinched slightly. He narowed his eyes. "It will heal." I repeated.

"I'm truly sorry lass. Some bumbling idiot, got too near to the horses and probably did something to make the them panic. They've never done this before. Please forgive me. I can pay for your medical expenses if you would like that." The boy said, holding his hat in his hands.

"No, no it's alright. It was an accident. Nothing to worry about. Just a small cut." I smiled at him.

"Is there anything I can do? I'd be happy to help." The boy said earnestly. He looked visibly relieved. I doubt he is any older than we are. But I could be wrong.

"You've help-" Jason started when I cut him off.

"Actually there is something you can help us with." I said as I looked at the winding road and the hill that led to the palace gates.

"This is fun!" Melissa said

We were currently sitting in the cart that the boy owned. It's a bumpy ride but it will have to do. There was only a few more stretches of cobblestone before we reached the outskirts of the palace grounds.

His name, as he told us, is Ray. He was an elf boy judging by his pointy ears and attire. He worked for one of the bakeries and delivered bread and other special orders early in the morning. He was very lively once he got past the terrified phase and boy, did he love to talk.

"You know lass, I got no idea why but you remind me of somebody." He said glancing back. "It's like I've seen you everywhere and yet nowhere." His eyebrows scrunched up like he was trying hard to remember.

I hoped he would be forgetful for a little while longer. None of the people can know atleast till I was strong enough to hold up a fight on my own without shedding my own blood or the blood of the people who believed in me and my abilities. Or lack of.

"Probably just looked like one of your customers?" I said, making it sound more like a question than a statement.

"You're prettier than most of them. That's for sure. And I've seen a lot of really beautiful women." He laughed and then winked at me. "If you ever want somebody to spend a few nights with, just ask for me around. You'll find me eventually." He said in an accent I'd heard everywhere in Adealith. It was mixed with another accent though. Something more Coronian, I decided.

Aiden who was drinking water, sunk into a series of coughs and sputtering. My cheeks grew warm as I stared at Ray's chestnut head, too bewildered to say something. Everyone doubled over in laughter. Even Stella, who finally got some colour back to her cheeks.

"I'll uh-" I coughed lightly, "I'll keep that in mind. Thank you."

"Anything for you, lass." His smiled broadly oblivious to the death glare Aiden was drilling into his head. "Say, you don't have any specific preferences do you?"

The laughter turned boisterous. Jason and Melissa were starting to wipe tears from their eyes. Ray looked at the laughing faces and beamed at me.

"P-Preferences?" I looked at him wide eyed. Was this boy asking me if I had any-

"Yes, you know like ro-" He started saying but then stopped mid sentence and swallowed.

I followed his gaze behind my head and found Aiden looking at him with a rather dangerous glint in his eye. He was toying with his dagger while looking straight at Ray with an almost wicked smile.

"Like what exactly? Finish that sentence. Go on. I'm curious." He said, his voice low and deeper than usual. Hailey rolled her eyes and mouthed 'boys'. I giggled.

"Nevermind that. I wasn't serious." Ray said quickly, looking rather frightened.

I slapped Aiden's arm making the dagger slip from his grasp and gave him a tiny cut. He scowled at me as he sucked his finger. He looked like a small kid. I almost smiled.

He wasn't serious and you know it

That doesn't mean he can babble whatever he wants

It's not like you care anyway

That shut him up but also changed the expression on his face to an unreadable one. He looked away and I suppressed a sigh.

"Say Ray, would you be interested in me instead? I'm pretty fun to be around too." Stella said. Zach made a protesting noise and glared at her. She smirked and blew him a kiss.

"The whole lot of you really want me dead, don't you? Look we're here!" Ray said.

And we were. Right before us stood a tall, iron gate stationed by guards. One of the guards came to see what we wanted. I felt Hailey gently touch my arm. I looked at her in question but she was mumbling something under her breath. My amulet glowed and a familiar chill and warmth mixed together spread throughout my body.

"That's hopefully the last time we use that spell." She said once it was over.

She smiled at me and then suddenly furrowed her eyebrows, looking directly at my neck. My stomach dropped and I quickly readjusted the cloak, trying to play it cool.

"Thank you." I said softly.

Her gaze lifted but the question in her eyes didn't seem to subside. I made a mental note to learn how to keep the spell that hid the mark for longer periods of time.

"What business do you have at the Pal-"

The guard trailed away when his eyes landed on Aiden. And then he found me. His eyes widened so much that I was afraid they were going to pop out. I heard shuffling behind me and knew Ray had turned around too.

"What in the name of-" Ray gasped out.

"Nice to meet you?" I tried pathetically giving a small wave.

The guard's jaw dropped and the spear he was holding clattered to the ground followed by his body. There was a moment of silence as all of us stared at the fallen soldier. And then, the commotion started as the other soldiers stationed near the gates hurried to see what was going on.

"Oh skies! This is going to be a long day."