Chapter 44

I wake up to find that we are halfway to Chicago, Illinois. My dad informs me of this when I walk into the kitchen at 10:00am this morning. I'm about to pour myself a cup of coffee when my dad also informs me that we are going to be stopping at Starbucks for some breakfast in the next forty minutes.

"I need to shower then." I say, and with that, dart off to the bathroom. Stopping to grab a pair of denim shorts and a T-shirt, I have a quick shower and blow-dry my hair, I decide to straighten it and leave it down for today. I never leave my hair down so maybe this will be a nice change.

When I come out of the bathroom, I meet Shawn coming around the corner. Still in his pyjamas, his hair unruly from sleep, he looks adorable.

"Hey Lauren." He greets me quietly. I smile and go wrap my arms around him in a hug.

"Guess what." I say, looking up at him.

"What?" He asks back.

"We're stopping at Starbucks for breakfast." I tell him, a grin spreading across my face.

"Why are you excited about that? You hate Starbucks." Shawn replies sarcastically.

"Mhm totally. Can't stand the place." I reply back, equally as sarcastic.

"I've got to go get dressed so I'll talk to you in a bit okay?" Shawn says, pulling away. Giving me a quick kiss on the cheek, he slips around the corner and into the bathroom. I turn to leave as well when I hear the door open again.

"Did you forget something?" I ask, turning around.

"Your hair is down." Shawn responds, smiling. I blush, my hand immediately flying up to my hair.

"I never leave it down so I figured I should today." I shrug.

"Cute." Shawn grins, and disappears back into the bathroom.
I go into the kitchen and take a seat next to Aaron and Jacob, unable to wipe the smile from my face.

The three of us talk for the remaining few minutes until we get to Starbucks, which is where everyone piles out of the bus and inside the building.

"Oh man I can practically taste the coffee now." Matt sighs as we stroll up to the counter.

I order a grande iced caramel macchiato and go stand next to Shawn while we wait for our drinks to come out.

"Man this wifi sucks! How am I supposed to post this tweet if I'm all out of data? Hey Bart, can I go back to the bus and use the wifi on there?" Gilinsky complains.

"Yeah bro, my Instagram isn't loading either." Aaron agrees. The two of them grab their drinks and walk outside. Shawn and I exchange a look and grab our own drinks without a word.

I see Nash and Cameron posing with their Starbucks cups as they take a selfie. As I look around the room, the only two people besides Shawn and myself who aren't on their phones are Hayes and Moon. Probably because they don't have theirs anymore but at least they're talking amongst themselves.
Leaning over to Shawn as we walk outside, I take his hand in mine to grab his attention.

"Is it just me or is everyone kind of phone absorbed lately?" I whisper. Shawn looks around at the others and then leans down to me.

"You're right. But I guess they are social media stars. It's kind of their job."

"But do they have to be tweeting and making Vines all the time?" I ask back.

"That's true, I haven't really said much to anyone this morning except to you." Shawn agrees. We climb back on the bus to walk into the midst of a first world catastrophe.