Chapter 39

Rounding the corner into the frozen foods aisle, I push Jacob down in search of pirogies. But not more than two seconds after we had arrived at the freezer containing the item we needed, Jacob lets out a gasp.

"Turn around! Quickly!" He hisses at me, hiding his face with the hood of his sweater.

"Jacob, what's your problem?" I ask, dipping my shades to the bridge of my nose and peering over the rims at him in confusion.

"I'll explain later!" He waves his hand dismissively. Shoving my sunglasses back up with a dramatic sigh, I turn the cart around and start off in he direction of fresh produce.
Jacob won't stop glancing over his shoulder every five seconds.

"Okay seriously Jacob." I deadpan, stopping the cart. Glaring at him from behind my sunglasses, I wait expectantly for an answer on his suddenly strange behaviour.
Casting one final glance over his shoulder, Jacob finally turns to face me. He better have a good explanation. We don't have much time and I'm not leaving without pirogies.

"I saw my aunt." Jacob's face could not look more unimpressed.

"So?"

"She talks. A lot. Let's just say we'd be here until tomorrow if we stopped to talk to her." He explains with a grimace.

"What's she doing here?" I ask.

"She moved here like three years ago. I completely forgot. What are the odds that we'd see her here of all places." Jacob replies, practically muttering the last part to himself.

"I honestly can't imagine what your aunt would be doing in a grocery store. Gosh, she's really a wild one. A true rebel. Why on earth would your aunt be in a grocery store?" My tone is mercilessly sarcastic. Jacob only glares at me in response before turning back around in the cart.

After grabbing what we needed in the produce section, we double back to the freezer aisle to get my pirogies, as well as a few tubs of ice cream. Not exactly on the list, but definitely essentials.

......

Minutes later, Jacob and I are walking back up the steps into the bus, loaded with our groceries.

"We make quite the team." Jacob says, setting down one of the bags on the counter.

"No kidding, it only took us eighteen minutes." I agree, setting down my own bags.

"Do I hear the sound of food being delivered?" Matthew shouts from somewhere on the bus. Seconds later, the boy has arrived in the kitchen and is excitedly digging through the bags, looking at all of the contents Jacob and I went out and purchased.

"Oh man, you guys are such lifesavers." Matthew grins happily.

"Yeah, I know." I reply, flipping my hair over my shoulder conceitedly. Jacob laughs and slips behind me to put away the packages of ramen noodles.

I quickly stick the ice cream into the freezer before my dad comes in to give me heck for buying something that wasn't on his list.

"Hold up, is that coffee ice cream?" Cameron asks, strolling into the kitchen, stopping my hand just as I was about to put it in the freezer.

"You bet." I reply proudly. As if I'd made the stuff myself.

"I could kiss you right now." He blurts, looking up from the ice cream at me. Almost immediately after he speaks, his face flushes red at the realization of what he just said. Matthew snorts at the awkwardness.