Chapter 27

I feel like I'm being questioned in prison. Alright, maybe not that extreme but the atmosphere reminds me of it. The lights feel overly bright and I'm beginning to feel too warm in my sweater. I want to take it off but I'm afraid that any sort of disruption will make matters worse. I fidget with a thread on my sleeve as we wait for my dad to finally say something. For the past five minutes he's just been staring Shawn and I down and it's beginning to make me feel rather uncomfortable.

"So." My dad finally says. I wait for him to keep going with that sentence but he doesn't continue for another minute or so.

"So." He repeats. I really want to tell him to just spit it out already.

"Did you guys think about the consequences of your actions before you began?" He asks finally. Johnson's parents wait for our replies expectantly from behind my dad.

"What do you mean, the consequences?" Shawn asks tentatively.

"Well did you guys have a contraceptive? Or were you planning on doing it without one because Lauren, if you were ever so irresponsible I would-"

"Dad! We weren't going to have sex!" I interrupt in humiliation, my cheeks flaming with embarrassment.

"But Mrs. Johnson described to me over the phone that you two were in the middle of having an... intercourse." My dad explains.

"They were! He had his shirt off and I'm pretty sure hers would have came off had we walked in a second later!" Mrs. Johnson insists from over my dad's shoulder.

"But they were fully clothed other than that?" My dad asks, turning around in his seat to face her.

"Well yes but not for much longer." She admits.

"That's not 'in the middle of and intercourse!' It's leading up to it but it's most certainly not what I'd identify as in the middle of one." My dad says, turning back around to face Shawn and I. Both of us are blushing hard thanks to the conversation about us having an intercourse taking place in front of us.

"Now Shawn. Do you like my daughter?" My dad asks sternly. Shawn nods enthusiastically.

"I do, very much. Sir." He answers trying to be confident.

"Taking my daughter's virginity is a big responsibility. Do you trust yourself with that, knowing that you were about to be her first?" My dad asks him, looking him in the eye.

"Dad come on..." I plead. I wish for nothing more than for this conversation to end. Never have I ever been more humiliated in my entire life. He really doesn't need to be talking about my virginity right now, especially not in front of Johnson's parents who I really wish would leave.

"Taking her virginity? I can assure you that having... uhm... sex with your daughter was not one of my intentions tonight, or any time in the near future." Shawn stammers. I am really admiring his attempts at making this situation better for me right now.

"That's good to know. But sometimes it isn't always planned, sometimes it just happens without intending to do it." My dad says calmly.

"Dad I'm serious. Can we please not talk about this right now?" I beg him desperately.

"We should go honey." Johnson's dad whispers to his wife. Finally some privacy. They walk out of the room, leaving just the three of us.

"You two are teenagers and with that comes hormones that can sometimes be difficult to contro-"

"Dad!" I exclaim for the fourth time. I have honestly never been more embarrassed. I need to apologize to Shawn for all of this, he must be dying inside.