Chapter 10

"Princess," Christina called, making Kiera's head snap to her.

"Christina! Don't call me princess!" she whisper-yelled.

Her widened eyes looked around her, trying to find someone who had managed to listen to their conversation. Luckily, the eager crowd that had formed around them had already dispersed just as quickly.

Christina winced before putting her hand in front of Kiera, an indication to help her get up. Kiera gratefully took her hand and pulled herself up.

"Sorry," Christina whispered softly, looking at the ground.

"It's alright, Christina. Just please do not do it again," Kiera said, before continuing in a softer tone, "there are people that might want to kill us or threaten our lives for money if they find out who we are and what are our positions in the kingdom. I do not want to get the both of us killed anytime soon."

Christina's eyes widened in fear as she understood the danger she could have potentially put them in and she shook her head vigorously.

"Good. Now we must find what we came here to get. We are running out of time and we cannot afford losing focus," Kiera said. She grabbed Christina's arm and began dragging her to the building.

"Maybe someone in that building could help us," she said to Christina, her thoughts travelling back to the man she saved. There was a great chance that he was still in the building and they could meet each other again.

Kiera shook her head. She should not be thinking about that man. She should be more focused, thinking about someone who would marry her and come to Atlantis and be crowned king.

It was going to be hard to find someone who was willing to do that. After all, everyone here seemed to have a life of their own. Why would anyone want to leave their great lives to help a princess, of a kingdom that was considered as lost, and save the throne from getting usurped by her power-hungry aunt?

It sounded like a recipe for disaster.

Kiera found it hard to take in the glamour that surrounded her. She winced each time her dirty shoes took a step on the shining floors and a smiled graced her face as she saw the huge chandeliers hanging from the ceiling, their marble balls causing light to reflect all over the interior of the building, making it brighter than outside.

The brown, marble walls had complex mosaic patterns running through them, making it look more splendid than it already was. Kiera watched with fascination as glass boxes filled with people and carried them up and down the building.

Nudging Christina at the side, who was just as enamoured with the place as she was, she pointed at the huge, glass boxes. "What are those?" she asked in awe.

Christina shrugged her shoulders, her eyes trying to take in all the splendour surrounding her. She seemed particularly fascinated with the desk at the side of the room, which had all kinds of refreshments and food on them. Food that she had never seen before in her life.

"I do not know. However, I do believe we should have that in our kingdom. It would really help the maids when they are trying to run up and down the seven stories of the castle, especially Aunt Agatha. Her age is really catching up with her," she said, trying to inch away from Kiera and towards the refreshment desk.

Kiera frowned when she could not smell Christina's familiar strawberry scent beside her. She had been too caught up with her surroundings to even notice that her friend, and lady-in-waiting, had left her side. A strange sense of loneliness came over Kiera and she turned around, only to see Christina stuffing her mouth with food.

Kiera's stomach grumbled. It had been almost a day, if not more, since she had had a proper meal. Meals at the castle usually consisted of seven courses, at least, yet Kiera could hardly remember ingesting a single morsel in the past day.

As she watched Christina pile up her plate and devour delicious fruits and delicacies, she was reminded of the consequences of not eating or drinking for a day, other than the foul drink she had the night before.

Kiera closed her eyes tightly. I am not stealing anything. I am not stealing anything, she thought before making her way towards Christina. She piled up her plate and her eyes lit up with the thought of having such treats in her stomach.

Just as she was about to put the first spoonful of food in her mouth, a guard came over to them. His dress reminded Kiera of the bodyguards she had left behind in Atlantis.

She wondered if they missed her presence there. Or maybe they were relieved to not have to guard the reckless princess, who loved to constantly sneak out, anymore.

Regardless of her thoughts, she watched the man in front of her, who had started speaking. "Excuse me, misses, I hope you realise that you have to pay for the food you were eating." His words were kind but the glares he was sending their way made Kiera want to run out of the building and never come back.

Christina's hand halted at his words. She glanced down at her plate. About half of her food was gone and she had not even paid for it. Not because she did not want to, but because she didn't know she had to. Plus, she did not have the money and she was sure the princess didn't either.

Oh no!

How was this chapter? The last part made me super hungry. Just writing about food makes me feel like devouring my entire fridge!

Anyways, the book for today is 'Writing Tips' by thementorscommitee. They have superb tips which can really help writers. All you readers who are writers (or are deciding to become writers) should really read this book!

Don't forget to vote, comment and share this story with your friends if you liked it!

Thanks for reading! :)