Chapter 7

Heat beamed on Kiera's skin and she rolled around on her blistering bed. Sweaty droplets ran down her face and her breathing felt a bit constricted. She opened her eyes before closing them once more, shielding them from the intense light of the sun.

Groans came from either side of her and she assumed that the people beside her were feeling the same tiredness and pain that she was feeling at that moment.

Kiera turned her head away from the sun and opened her eyes once more. As soon as they landed on the blood-red hair of a sleeping girl, a loud scream escaped her mouth.

The girl woke up with a start and looked at her with innocent yet scared blue eyes.

"What happened? Why are you screaming like a monkey?" She said, narrowing her eyes at Kiera.

Kiera gasped in surprise. "Monkey? You're calling me a monkey?" she asked, appalled.

"Well, I did not exactly call you that, did I?" she said. "Look, I have a headache and this sand makes a really uncomfortable bed. Your screaming really is not helping. If you do want to help though, you can go buy me some coffee. That would be wonderful. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a headache to nurse," she said to Kiera before slowly getting up and walking away.

Kiera narrowed her eyes at the girl's retreating figure. How dare she talk to me like that? she thought.

The girl turned around mid-step and smirked. "If you are cursing me, just remember, the name's Violet," she said.

Violet! Why did that name sound so familiar? Oh no! Memories of the previous night rushed to Kiera and she groaned loudly. How could have she been so foolish as to tell Violet about her entire life story? Violet could be someone dangerous who could kill Kiera if she offended her on the slightest.

Or she could kidnap Kiera and demand ransom. Not that her aunt would even pay the ransom money if Kiera was kidnapped. In fact, Philippa would be glad to see her out of the way to the throne.

Whatever reason it was, Kiera should not have blurted out her entire history to a stranger who she had just met. Perhaps there was something in that drink she was given. Maybe that's why she did such a crazy thing.

Kiera's eyes widened. What if that drink was poisoned? She could be very well on near her death bed right now. No, that was horrible to think about. Why would a stranger want to poison her? It was too unlikely. It was just her fears talking. No such thing could happen.

As Kiera gave the matter more thought, a hand waved before her eyes. With a small yelp, Kiera jumped backwards and allowed her hands to fly wildly in front of her.

"Get away from me!" she screamed.

A soft chuckling made her step out of her screaming frenzy.

"Princess, it is only me," Christina said softly, a delicate laugh spilling out of her mouth.

"Christy! That was scary!" Kiera said, trying to catch her breath.

"I am sorry, Princess. I'll keep it in mind to not do that again," Christina said, her eyes panicking at the thought at the princess being angry with her for doing such a silly thing.

Kiera smiled gently at Christina, trying to calm her down with a smile. "It's alright, Christy. I just got a shock. Don't worry. You did nothing wrong," she said.

Christina smiled weakly before Kiera remembered what she had been thinking about.

"C... Christy?" she called out.