Chapter 10: Kidnapper & I

"Mmph..."

My eyes are sore and crusty by the time I wake. Dried tears that had formed somewhere along the line stain my face, complimented by the dry clicking of my eyelids. Observing my surroundings, I let my vision slowly adjust to the lack of light in the room. Attempting to sit up, I cry out in a fright when my elbow slips off the surface of whatever I'm lying on.

"Your really more trouble than your worth, just stay there."

A deep voice drags me out of the lull of sweet sleep, my body freezing up when large hands claps around my upper arms. The person lifts me up like a piece of paper, before setting me back down on what I'm assuming is a bed.

My motor skills seemingly progressing faster than my brain can function, I swat at the hands that try to hold me down.

"Stop!" The voice exclaims as I fight to push the person away. "Stop! Leighton, it's Dom! Stop!"

Panting at the sudden release of energy, I falter, the throbbing in my head becoming too much.

Letting out a groan, I flop back onto the bed and turn on my side, only half aware of the safety of the situation. Either that or I'm too hopeless to care.

"Your sick, Leighton."

There's a clink of a glass, and then a light turns on. Clenching my eyes shut, I turn my face further into the darkness of my arms.

"And that gives you the right to kidnap me?" I mutter into the bed sheet, opening my eyes little by little in the light.

"I didn't kidnap you, I just brought you somewhere safer." There's a shrug in his tone. "Plus, you look like crap. What're they doing to you in that house?"

Leaning on my elbows, I slowly sit up, dragging my body backwards to lean on the backboard of the bed. Smoothing the rumpled fabric of my skirt so it reaches a respectable height near the top of my knees, I turn to the boy disapprovingly. "That's none of your concern, Dominic. And it's certainly not your responsibility to take care of me when I'm ill."

"Then who's is it? David and Addison Crescent's?" He says their names in the utmost disgust, you could almost mistake his tone for a snake's.

Raising my eyebrow, I tilt my head in question. "How do you know who they are? I'm not registered as-"

"I know. Your registered on the school roll as a Lloyd, not in your given surname 'Crescent'." He finishes, as if he'd planned this conversation in his head a million times. "I never even knew David and Addison had a daughter."

"They were always good at hiding me away..." I trail off, but snap back to reality quicker than lightning. "Answer my question, Dominic. How do you know who they are?"

Looking into his dark brown eyes which have seen to have sunken to a deeper jet black, his stare is platonic.

Leaving his position from the bedside, he turns around and walks toward the door.

"Dominic!"

"I left water and painkillers on the side table, leave whenever you want."

And with that, he leaves me answerless, lying on the rough covers of the bed. With the light on, I'm able to properly survey my surroundings.

It seemed to be a bedroom, furniture mostly assembled in various blacks and greys. Unlike my own bedroom, all pieces of furniture were rather modern rather than the pink, historic-type decor Theodore had chosen for me. Beside me, a silver tray with a glass of water and two duo-coloured pills sit upon a lacquered birch desk.