'Bhai, I'm so glad that you gave Zara the job. You'll see, she's really hard-working, she will be perfect for the job!' Hafsa says to me while we are having dinner.

I nod. I think she will be perfect for the job. "Yes, she's good," I reply. Hafsa smiles.

'Zaid bhai, you know, she was scared when she found out that she had an interview with you. At first, she didn't want to go to it,' Hafsa tells me.

I frown. "Why was she scared? I haven't done anything to her."

'I know, bhai. Even I was confused. She didn't want to meet you again for some reason. She was always coming over before you came back, but she hasn't come over once after you came back. I don't know why,' Hafsa says, sadly.

Zara didn't want to meet me? But why? I haven't said or done anything to her. I also noticed that she hasn't come over to the apartment even once since I've come back. Her whole family came to meet me, but she didn't. And it has been over three weeks as well since I've come back from the US.

"Why? She does seem very different now, compared to two years ago. It almost seems like she's not the same person anymore. She's a lot more mature now, and I saw the pain in her eyes." Why did I just say that, in front of Hafsa and Mum? Hafsa will definitely take this the wrong way.

'Bhai, why have you been looking into her eyes?! Okay, I'm joking. Don't give me that look, I'm not scared of you like everyone else is. But yes, she's changed a lot. This last year hasn't been a good one for her.'

"What happened? I know that she broke her engagement, but why?" I ask, interested. I feel like I need to know what happened that changed Zara so much.

'Bhai, I'm not the right person to ask. If you want to know, you'll have to ask her. She won't tell you though. She won't tell anyone, because she doesn't want anyone to worry about her. I'm sorry, but I can't tell you. She's my best friend,' Hafsa says, her eyes filling up with tears. So it's definitely something serious. Hafsa is getting really upset. What could possibly have happened?

Hafsa speaks again. 'Let me just say one thing. Zara had it way worse than you, bhai.' What? How could it have been worse than...?

I continue to eat in silence. I don't know what to say after that. Zara is a good girl, she is kind and caring towards everyone. She doesn't deserve anything bad.

After dinner, I head to my room and do some work on my laptop. I hardly ever have free time, even most weekends I'm busy with work. If I'm not at the office, I'm stuck in my room all day with my work. You could say that I'm a workaholic. I take my job very seriously, I have to given that I am the CEO of one of the largest companies in the city.

I get into bed at around 1am. I need to get to sleep, as I need to be at the office early tomorrow morning for a meeting.

********

Zara's POV

The week flies, by, and so do Monday and Tuesday. Before I know it, it is my first day of work at the office. I wake up early in the morning, at 6:30am, giving enough time for me to shower, get ready and have breakfast. After showering, I change into a grey, fitted silk blouse and a pair of black, straight leg pants. I brush through my hair, deciding to leave it loose.

I next do my makeup, as my eyes look really tired due to me waking up early for once. I put on my usual natural makeup, and give myself a dark nude lip. It looks good with the grey blouse. After finishing my makeup, I slip on my grey heels, grab my grey Louis Vuitton purse and head downstairs.