Chapter 31: New beginnings

"El thought she was pregnant"

Liam pulled back, shot out of Niall's grip like he'd been slapped. He stared at Niall in horror. "what?"

Niall winced, reaching again for Liam's hands. When Liam pulled away walking back to the bed and taking a seat, Niall followed him and settled for squeezing tightly to one knee as he stared at him in earnest. "Thats why I didnt speak to you for those three months Liam, but it was only a false alarm"

"It doesnt take three months to find out about a pregnancy" Liam says, not believing that Ellie's false pregnancy was the only reason Niall went ghost on him for three months.

"I - I know it doesn't, I also was trying to figure out how to go about with the divorce and how to start fresh with you"

"Divorce?" Liam questioned, his heart pounding.

Liam had been waiting for what seemed like years for Niall to divorce Ellie and now that it was finally happening, he just could not believe it.  His heart was pounding so hard as he waited for Niall to confirm not only the divorce but the fact that he was finally ready to completely lead his heart to Liam.

"Yeah divorce, I filed the papers" Niall says, giving Liam a nervous smile before speaking again "I'm really sorry about the last three months, I just needed time to figure out what was going on in my head and to make sure that getting into a proper relationship with you was the right thing to do.  I didn't want to hurt you this time liam because I know how bad I've hurt you these past few years. I want to treat you right this time round"

"All you had to do was give me a phone call and explain the situation to me. I would not have minded if you told me you needed three months to figure out your head, I would have preferred that then radio silence from you" Liam says "I know you had good intentions but you still hurt me to the fucking core"

Liam moved further up the bed, trying not to let the tears fall as he thought back to the toughest three months of his life. He'd struggled so hard trying to come to terms with the fact that Niall and him were done for good.

Trying to come to terms with the fact that Niall didnt want him.

"I know i did and im truly sorry Liam, please forgive me"

"I-I dont know if i can" Liam said as he sagged back against the headboard. He didn't pull away further, let Niall keep his palm pressed against his thigh. But he was having trouble looking at him. Looking at this man he loves so much. 

"Liam, I - "

Liam pinched the bridge of his nose tightly, avoiding the way his nose was running and the tears that had started to steadily fall. "I'm - fuck, I'm so mad at you. So mad that its so fucking easy for you to hurt me"

"Its not easy for me..." Niall pauses before continuing "Do you honestly believe it is?"

Liam looked up at him before saying wetly "yes i do, I've never done anything to hurt you as badly as you have hurt me, I always put you first and you know that"

"I swear i never mean to hurt you Liam, please believe me"

"But you do, Niall." Liam managed not to yell at him. Instead he was just tired, so very very tired of feeling so sad. He moved back, trying to keep his distance from Niall. It was awful being right in front of him again, being next to him and smelling his familiar cologne and the soap that he used. It all just hurt a little too much.

Niall stared at him, eyes wide and his brow pinched. Liam hated the way he wanted to snuggle him close, pull Niall into him and tuck him under his arms because he looked upset.