Chapter 18: Phone calls

"Yeah, I heard about it. Tell Nic I'm expecting a free sample when I get to visit," he hears Liam say as he's getting back from his shower, looks over to see Liam staring at his phone. Registers he's Facetiming Karen, his suspicions confirmed when he hears her voice come out tinny from the phone's speakers.

"You don't do that enough, " she's saying, sounding stern, and Niall snorts when Liam looks offended, hand on heart and everything. Tries not to make anything of the fact that he sees him dressed in one of his shirts. Probably just to be decent in front of his mum. "Always promise but never follow through. Mean it this time. "

"Yeah, of course, mum," he's replying, and at least he's sounding genuine about it. "I'll go there once I get back from here."

"I'll be waiting, " she tells him, and Niall sits next to him on the bed, pulls the robe closer to his body. "Is someone there with you? I thought you broke it off. Please don't tell me you got back together-"

"No, no, I'm not with her," Liam's saying, and he smiles over at Niall and he takes the little tilt of his head as a ' Is it okay if I show you?', and Niall just shrugs. He loves Karen, it'll be fine. Liam moves the phone slightly, so both of them are onscreen. "Look who's vacationing with me"

"Niall! " Karen's grinning then, looking so much more alive and Niall beams back. Pinches Liam's hip smugly, because his mum loves him more than she does her own son, and he's never gotten tired of rubbing it in Liam's face. "Oh my god, your hair's so dark - but you look like you haven't aged a day. How do you do it? Teach Liam, his face is getting much too long."

Niall laughs when Liam squawks at his mother indignantly, and he answers, "Cherub face is doing me wonders. I'll look like this for years. Look like I'm twenty when I'm in my forties. Li just isn't blessed with it. Gene skipped him, probably, you're looking lovely, Karen."

"Knew you were my fave for a reason, " she tells him, and Liam's skulking next to him. Pinches at his hip again, but he doesn't quite budge. Just slaps his general crotch area lightly, just below view of the camera. "What are you doing there, then? "

"Booked a trip for two, but my girl couldn't make it," he says simply, and Liam's gone quiet next to him. "She's on a girls only vacation in Indonesia. Hoping she'll get pictures with some elephants. Do they have elephants there?"

"Not really sure, but here's to hoping anyway, " she tells him, smiling. "I love seeing the two of you together, you boys. Hadn't seen Liam this relaxed or happy in quite some time. Granted, I don't see much of him anyway, but still. Nice to see the best in him. Always knew how to bring that out, didn't you, Ni? "

"Oh. I don't know," Niall's smiling sheepishly, but Liam's nodding next to him, his hair flopping about.

"I feel very much at the top of the world, at the mo," Liam says seriously to his mother, and Niall snorts, laughing. "Well, mum. Greet Ruth, Nic and Dad for me, would you? I'm quite tired, sorry. Love you."

"Love you too, goodnight. Make good choices, " she says, and she says it so lightly that Niall barely realizes that she truly does mean it, in the way she's staring hard at her son.

Liam ends the call, sighs a bit, before he looks at Niall. Gives him this weird wonky smile that's no less endearing, still dimply, but purposely stupid, and he says, "Call your dad."

"Already greeted the entire family this morning," Niall says, but Liam's already leaning over to get his phone from the nightstand.

"Wanna talk to him, would be nice to speak to someone who actually counts me as their favorite," he huffs, and Niall's laughing at him, calls him a twat, but lets him make the call.

Isn't long before Bobby answers, his face appearing on the screen, a little too close, much too red. Niall can see the pint in his hand.

"Niall! Is that Liam? " are his first words, and Liam's making pleased little noises. Niall rolls his eyes, and nods.

"Bobby!" Liam says with a grin "What a man, you are. Great taste, you have."

"Da, Hey," Niall says before Liam can completely take all of his attention. Angles the camera more towards him, pushing away Liam's attempts to get back on screen. "How's everyone? Greg and Denise okay? Theo? How's Ma?"

"All fine, Theo's just been put to bed, and we're all fine. Quite drunk, honestly, " he's answering, chuckling, and he topples a bit, the screen shaking. Liam makes a concerned noise, but Niall just snorts, knows how his father gets when he's had too many. Shit balance, shit grip. "Aha. Almost tripped. I'm fine. "

"Yeah, good to hear-"

"Make good choices!"

"I'll try to see everyone before the month ends," Niall talks over Liam's advice, not even originally his, the wanker, tells Bobby, "Be getting back to London next week, I'll try to bring Ellie with me. You owe her a bowling rematch."

"Will do, she'll still lose," he answers, and Niall clucks his tongue at him, though he knows it's true. Liam's gone still again, and he'd told Niall he'd be fine. But he knows that he's feeling more than he's letting on. "Liam, my boy being behaved?"

Liam comes out of his stupor, then. Looks wickedly at the camera, and Niall knows what he's thinking immediately, and panics.

"ANYWAY, anyway, shit - it's getting late over here, I'll see you soon, have a good one," Niall's rushing to say, and thank god because Bobby's drunk enough to not question it, just shrugs it off and waves as he disconnects.

Liam pouts at him, says petulantly, "Bobby Horan deserves to know the that his son has, many, many , times, within the very short period of time since early this morning, has decidedly acted in such a manner that cannot be considered behaved ."

"My Da doesn't deserve to hear about how his son has been sucking you off, you twat," he says, tries not to blush but does so anyway, and Liam cackles, tackling him down to the bed and biting at his skin, anywhere he can reach.

He tries to make a mental note to chat with El, later, but when Liam gets both their cocks in his stupidly big hand, he loses any and all trains of thought.

Happy 4th of July to all Americans!!!!

Ps: More updates coming soon.