"Figures," the Prince muttered. 

I laid on my stomach staring the dark screen. This was ridiculous. The mattress suddenly dipped beside me. I glanced over my shoulder and saw the Prince sitting at the edge of my bed. His back was to me. 

"How are you going to infiltrate the vampires?" I asked him, resting my head on the mattress. "Can  you also control other vampires with your mind?"

"This is the figure I wish to show," he answered.

Surprised, I raised my head and glanced at him. As if sensing my gaze, he turned around. He raised an eyebrow.

"You didn't honestly think that I can't change my appearance, right?"

I sat up. "Well excuse me if I'm ignorant of how vampire's powers work," I retorted. "No one believes half the crap the government tells us but that's the only thing we have to go on. I mean, don't you think this is a little unfair? You expect me to know things but how can I when you don't say anything and the government is trying to keep everything a secret?"

"Ask."

My eye twitched. "Like it's that easy," I grumbled. "So, what? I can ask you anything and you'll answer just like that?" I snapped my fingers.

He didn't say anything. Instead, he went back to staring at my closet. He as oddly nice and cooperative. 

"Why are you so violent?" I blurted out. "You've choked me twice, tried to bite me, and yanked my arm off. Seriously, you're a really abusive boyfriend." I sighed. I've been doing that a lot lately.  "I need to dump you."

For the longest time, he didn't answer. Right. Ask, he said. I could ask all I want that didn't mean I was going to get answers.

"Is this ability just because you're you -"

"Force of ha -"

We stopped at the same time. I dropped my gaze. It was then that I could hear the blood pounding in my ears. He had started to answer me and I had ruined it. 

"It must have been tough," I said hesitantly. "Waking up in a world where everything changed. Humans spread, empires rose and fell, and you're left with a pit under your feet. You had to change with the time."

I continued before he could speak. "A lot of vampires say you were a really good ruler once. The King had stepped down and you took charge.  They said you were caring. That you wanted what was best for them. Some want to believe that this persona you embody is just that. Are they telling the truth? Is it for show?"

Before the Prince could speak, my phone buzzed again. I gave the device a glare before looking at the screen. This time, Carlos had replied.

"What did he say?" the Prince asked.

He had heard my increase heart rate. I looked at the message. "I can understand that," I read aloud. "And . . . that's all he sent."

Another message came through. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"What do you think genius?" I muttered. "Now he thinks on being subtle. Granted, I shouldn't be sending almost terrorist stuff through a phone."

'It's frustrating,' I typed. 'I wish I could do something. Maybe petition outside on the streets or go to the press or something. Anything.'

"There," I said, pressing send. "Now, those spying on our messages won't think I'm a terrorist."

The Prince shook his head. "Maybe you should also put that you're trying to go undercover into a terrorist cell so they know that you're one of the good guys."

I smacked the Prince on the arm. He looked like he'd been punched. In the face. And it actually hurt. My heart was ready to stop. Heat flushed over my face. 

"Don't be a smart ass," I forced out. "I'm trying to help you. I know this sounds stupid but it's the best I got. Okay?"

I blew the imaginary hair from my face and looked down at my phone. Carlos sent another message.

I cleared my throat and read it. "Let's meet up. Our usual place."

'Sure,' I typed. 'How about in an hour?'

The replied happened almost instantly. 'Alright. See you then.'

I flashed the screen to the Prince. "The bait is set," I told him. "I just need to convince him to trust me and then I can infiltrate. Like a ninja."

The Prince made a noise at the back of his throat that may have sounded like laughter. I looked at him suspiciously. His face was expressionless.

"Maybe you can mind control him or something," I continued. "Would that work? Or is there a way to like stop it from taking effect? Does the person know that they were under the influence? I'm only asking because it could blow my cover."

"They feel groggy," the Prince explained hesitantly. "Like they woke from a dream. They won't remember exactly how they got from point A to point B."

I nodded waiting for him to continue but he didn't speak. "And?" I asked.

He rubbed his face. For a moment, I stared. Our eyes met. If I looked closely enough, the area around his eyes was darker. I leaned closer. Honestly, take away the lighter skin color and the predatory aura around them, vampires were just like everyone else. Except they had dangerous abilities that they (for the most part) used to get the advantage of humans. 

"What?"

"Nothing," I said, looking away. I cleared my throat loudly. "You were saying?"

"The mind control as you call it works on different degrees depending on the person," he said. "It also depends on the vampire. You . . . are actually one of the few I've encountered that didn't fall under my influence."

I sat up straighter at that.

"Have you been under the influence before?" he suddenly asked. "The effects of the influence wanes over time."

I shivered. It was suddenly cold and breathing was difficult. "N-not really," I stammered out. "I'm just stubborn is all." I cleared my throat. "I need to get ready for meeting Carlos. You should go. Come by later and we can plan our next move."

I grabbed the reading packet from the floor and skimmed through it. The words blurred and no matter how many times I reread them, I still couldn't understand what they were saying. I snuck a look at the Prince but he was gone. I felt my chin trembled. It's alright, I told myself. Let's get ready. Focus on the now, not on the past.  We have a terrorist cell to infiltrate.