Chapter 1 - The Preparations, Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Hmmm . . . I didn't ask for this . . . and you know me . . . "

"I know . . . I know my dearest sister!" She persisted.

"The very reason why I didn't want to do it in the first place, Sabbi," I gave out an exasperated sigh.

"Andrei!!!!!"

"I . told . you . . . "

"Please . . . please . . . please . . . ! You just can't really pass up this opportunily. And it's already been fixed, your name's now on the list, remember?"

"Hmm . . . you don't have to remind me that!!!" I lamely replied, trying to look adamant just for its own sake.

"Oh, no Andrei!!! Hyacinth and Angela have fought tooth and nails just to get you this vacant slot, I mean . . . not literally! And have you ever realized that many aspiring girls out there were looking forward to getting that spot? But it was given to you instead . . . " She insisted with her hands clasped at her chest and looking wistfully at me, now misty-eyed.

"It wasn't my fault, I didn't ask for it . . . "

"Sure . . . but personally, I'm not sorry that your friends got you into this," my sister's eyes pleaded, punching at my last wall of defence.

"Do you think this is some fancy job, huh?" I took to the settee just to avoid looking straight at her.

"Why ever not? You now get the chance to dress up like some famous celebrity! Though, as it is . . . you don't look bad yourself!" She planted herself in front of me, giving me a thorough once-over!

"Celebrity . . . my foot! You're such a dramatic queen, my dear little sister"

"I am not!!!"

"And you're making it sound like . . . I'm going on a date! Or. . . or . . . like I'm joining this event like it's a beauty pageant and I'm a beauty contestant," I gave out a dry chuckle, quickly closing my eyes, cringing at the thought.

"Look here, Andrei! Celebrity or not, when I say you . are . beautiful, I'm telling you this . . . because you are! Just believe me . . . you are!!!!! And . . . I want you to go out and dress up . . . really dress up for once!"

I had this feeling I'd end up saying yes even before our conversation is over.

"Sabbi . . . what I'd be doing there . . . and so with the rest of the girls, is to place a lei over the head of the guest that we're assigned to . . . and then guide them to their reserved seats, that's just it! It's that simple . . . and it's no big deal! I'd only be there for an hour or two . . . to work! "

"Yeah! Sure! Okay . . . I understand, I'm not a child, Andrei." She told me dismissingly.

"Nevertheless, my point here my dear sister is: this . affair . is . big . stuff !!! It's unlike the waitressing or the babysitting jobs you had when you were in school. Nor, is it like your present job as the assistant librarian . . . which is so boring! Nope!" She vigorously shook her head, emphasizing her letter p with an omph!

"Andrei please, look at me . . . "

I breathed out an exasperated sigh.

"Sabbi . . . " I came up to her and held her face tenderly. I tried to wipe a tear or two that started slipping down her cheeks. It's so like her when she's so wrapped up in whatever she wants.

"I'm just a simple person . . . you know, right! And I ain't good at socials . . . I avoided ocassions such as this, and I still do! You must understand that!" I said softly, hoping she'd see things my way this time.