Chapter 29

Folklore

We didn't start practices yet. It was already lit class and was the last subject for the day, thankfully. My day was so blurry that I was thankful it was already the last period.

My classmates were talking quietly as Gwen looked distant on stage, her head down low as she crossed her arms. She was awfully quiet, which might have startled the students and might have terrified me a little. When her eyes landed on mine, she grabbed me and dragged me to a corner.

"What happened?" she asked. It didn't sound like "tell-me-everything-from-the-start-because-I'm-so-excited" kind of question, but it sounded more like a dad who was trying to be calm before punching his son for his consequences.

"Are you seriously having this conversation with me during practice?"

"Yes," she sounded angry. "Because Tyler just gave up his spot. What happened?"

"I don't really wanna talk about it."

"Kris," she sighed. "We'll talk about this later after class. But I just want to know where the fuck Tyler is because he's been MIA for three days for practice already. The scripts are already here and we can't start practicing without him."

I opened my mouth to talk when we heard gasps as Mr. Williams entered the room, with Lucas trailing behind him. I saw some other girls swoon and whisper about how hot he is which started circulating in the room.

"I'm sorry to interrupt your practice. But this is Lucas Cooper. He's a transferee. He'll be part of your class and the play. Be nice to him please."

"Hello everyone, my name is Lucas Cooper and I am excited to work with all of you," he said. He spotted me and came next to me, making the girls' jaws drop.

"Hi, Lor-"

"Shut up," I said. "I don't use that name anymore. Just call me Kris."

When Mr. Willams exited the room, Gwen shouted in frustration.

"Well guys, Tyler just quit his role and won't be joining our play. Now we don't have a leading man."

The students looked at each other with open mouths.  Someone asked what happened to him, but Gwen just looked at me as if I would tell the whole class why Tyler decided to quit the play.

When I just kept my head low, I felt Lucas hold my arm.

"I can sing." Lucas volunteered when everyone was so quiet. "Tyler got his voice from me, after all."

"Wait, you and Tyler are related?" Jay asked.

"Yep, he's my brother," Lucas answered and everyone gasped.

"No wonder he looks so good. What's in their genes, by the way?" I heard someone comment.

"Alright, we'll have to do you then," Gwen said, giving him a manuscript. "Here, your role is named under LM1."

"Doesn't he need to sing for us before we start practicing?" Shaina asked from the crowd. Gwen crossed her arms as she examined Lucas. Her eyes flickered to me, as if she already knew what happened last night.

"We don't have time," was all she said as she motioned for the students to back up and sit at the chairs that was on each corner of the room.

Lucas flipped through the pages while Gwen also handed me a script.

"Yours is LL1."

"I'm sorry," I whispered to her after some time. She just squeezed my shoulder and then told me to come up stage.