Chapter 31

Alex's POV

"Please Jason, let her take whatever she wants and I will pay for a house but I will not let that woman take my kids."

"I understand,  we can put the best case we can forward and hope for the best man thats all I can do at the minute" 

I took a deep breath and opened my Armani suit jacket and sat down on the sofa.

Me and my brother Jason didn't have any sort of relationship, he was there if I needed him and vice versa. He was a solicitor the best out there and he's the only person I trust to help me in this situation. 

"I never expected this, I never once thought I would be divorcing Alison but it just doesn't feel right anymore. Theres so many secrets" 

"Like your mistress for example" 

He handed me a glass of whiskey and took a seat on the opposite end of the couch. 

"You gotta do what you gotta do big bro. You have not only got to think about yourself in this situation but also the kids as well. They have to be number one." 

There was an awkward silence between us, it had been 2-3 years since I last seen him and I didn't know how to talk to him. I felt like an awful brother, Im supposed to be the one that he looks up too and supposed to look after him. Before I could think anymore the words just came out..

"Im sorry I haven't been around and for being a shitty brother."

"Alex, stop it we just need to make more of an effort, both of us, its not all you. But we have kids that haven't even met each other yet and their related" 

He took out his wallet and handed me it 

"Look,  all are you nephews all 4 of them." 

I took the wallet and stared at 4 strangers, they all looked exactly like Jason, brown hair, brown eyes and freckles across their noses.

"Mom and dad are having their annual BBQ in a week, why don't you.."

"No" I interrupted him before he could finish his sentence. I quickly got up off the sofa,  placed the glass on the table and made my way to my desk.  I could feel the anger burning up from inside me.

"Alex, what happened before we have got to move on"

I began to clench my fists as they rested on top of the desk.

"Its time to move on man is all in the past"

Before I knew it the empty glass flew across the room and smashed into little tiny pieces on the floor.

"That man destroyed my childhood. I want nothing to do with him"

"We all had it Alex, not just you but you have to learn to move on all this anger your holding onto its not good for anyone. He's changed"

I started to laugh and turned to face him 

"Changed.. really Jason he's a bully, a violent bully. The sooner that bastard dies the better for everyone, especially mom. I will not have my kids around that man."

I began to put my coat on breathing in and out and as I try to calm down. How dare he come into my office and talk about that man my childhood is something I want to forget.

"Please Alex, mom needs you she's getting old"

I continued to ignore him blocking his words out, I don't need to deal with this right now. 

"Close the door on your way out please, I've somewhere to be"

I stepped out of the office and felt a rush of relief as I felt the cool air hit my face. I made my way to the car and began to think about Mia, I was going to stop off at the shop and buy her a dozen red roses to make up for being late. 

As I started the car, the handsfree kit began to ring, It was a number I didn't have saved. 

"Hello Alex Winters" 

"Alex, thank god, you have to come to the hospital theres been a incident and.. its... just please come hurry" 

Instantly I started to panic, was it Mia, was it my kids, Melissa, my mom was this what Jason was on about. 

"Excuse me but who is this" 

"Now is not the time Alex, St Patrick's Hospital, floor 3 suite 7 and hurry is an emergency." 

The phone then disconnected. 

I made it as fast as I could to the hospital, breaking all traffic lights and running like a manic.  I found the floor and began to look at all the signs until I found it

"Suite 3,4,5,6,7"

I opened the door and looked at the bed, but there was nobody there. I began look around the room and I don't see any bag, phone or purse, nothing. I walk back out of the ward and make my way to reception

"Excuse me, could you tell me who is in suite 7 please, I got a call to come here urgently but there is nobody in there" 

"Mia Walker is currently in surgery at the minute she should be out in the next few hours"

My heart dropped I felt my hands begin to sweat and my lungs close up, I couldn't breathe. I started to walk backwards until I hit a wall. Something was wrong, very wrong I could feel it. I felt something touch my arm that made me jump, i quickly turn around 

"We need to talk" 

I felt her arm pull me down along the corridor and into the room. She closed the door behind her slowly and turned around to face me

"Can someone please tell me what the fuck is going on and who are you" I ran my hands through my hair and began to panic.

"Im Kourtney, im a friend of Mia's, I tried calling you but I didn't get a answer and..

"Just tell me what the fuck is going on Kourtney, I need to know is she ok? is the baby ok? just  tell me"

She looked stunned that I shouted at her but her eyes dropped to the floor as if she understood

"She's in surgery, she was stabbed" 

"Sorry what did you just say" I walked straight up to her and looked her in the eye

"She's been stabbed, she's in surgery now their trying to save the baby" 

I started to tear up, I could feel them falling down my cheeks and landing on my suite jacket. 

"What do you mean stabbed, who just gets stabbed she's pregnant for God sake its clear to see. You don't just stab a pregnant woman" 

I started to pace up and down the room now feeling my heart crumble into tiny pieces

"Im waiting for an update off the doctors thats all I know for now. We gotta stay strong Alex for Mia and the baby"

She placed her hand on my shoulder and guided me towards a chair to sit down on. I began to process everything going through my mind. She's been stabbed, she's in surgery and theres nothing that I can do. 

Hours passed by and there was still no update. I kept taking the picture out of the scan and rubbing my hands over it praying to God that everything ok that Mia was ok, my baby was ok. 

"Ive had enough of this, Im going to find out they can't keep us waiting this long without nothing" 

I stood up and stormed to the door I opened the door with such force that the door nearly came off the hinges. 

"Mr Winters, I was just looking for you. Please take a seat"