Jenna' second birthday

It had been a year and a half and they were all settled in, Jenna's  room was painted pink and decorated, pictures were hung it felt like home and what a better way to celebrate it is with Jenna's second birthday, which was in a few weeks time. Jennifer had gone back to school to finish her last year at school a few months ago which didn't leave them both much time to plan Jenna's  birthday party so they invited close friends and family and a few of her friends.

The weeks went by fast both Jennifer and Garrett working and Joan  Jennifer's not so thrilled mother looked after Jenna  whom she was concerned about not that she didn't love her grandchild but she needed to spend time with her parents, Jenna's birthday also came round fast and today was the big day. Jennifer was out getting the cake when her phone rang "Hello Jennifer" she answered  "really is there no one else because- yes I... I know- but it's my daughter's bir- yes I understand" sighing "fine I'll be in there in half an hour" she threw her phone in her bag paid for the cake and left for home.

Jennifer practically ran inside the sooner I get there the sooner I can leave she kept telling herself she place the cake on the kitchen bench and left a note off Garrett as he was out with Jenna.

Garrett,

I got called into school  I will be home as soon as I can.

Wish my big girl a happy birthday and tell her I will be home

In time to read her a story.

Xx Love you

J

After writing the note, she showered and got change then left for work.

When Garrett got home he changed Jenna in to a pink and white striped dress then put her in her crib to have a nap before going into the kitchen to start getting ready for that party which was going to start in an hour, when he saw the note, reading it anger grew in side of him typical Jennifer scrunching the note up and throwing it in the bin, he took a deep breath and started making the food for the party.

Garrett smiled as he saw his birthday girl running around happily with her friends; he decided to clear the table for the cake.

Jennifer entered the house and seeing the girls playing with Jenna's toys she bent down kissing her then went into the kitchen to find Garrett getting the cake ready

"Hey I'm sorry I'm late I'm just glad to say I'm now done with school and I left early, oh you haven't done the cake yet" Jennifer smiled and got the lighter from the cupboard and placed it on the bench next to the cake

"I can't believe it, Jennifer really? School? I didn't realise that it was more important than your own daughters 2nd birthday," Garrett snapped

"Don't do this now Garrett, I'm not in the mood" Jennifer snapped surprise at his burst of anger

"You know it was pointless you coming home now Jen everything's been done, like always" Garrett snapped.

"Garrett don't you dare make it all to be my fault and will you be quiet they'll hear you"

"I don't care, if they hear us"

"You might not but I do" Jennifer whispered to Garrett who put the number 2 candle on top of the cake "we can talk about this later" Jennifer picked up the lighter and lit the candle as Garrett picked the cake up from the side and carried it into the dining room.

"I can't believe that your magic comes first instead and well I and Jenna come second"

Jennifer  ignored him no wanting to make a scene and forced a big smile upon her face when she saw them all looking at her.

Garrett placed the cake on the table and bent down to Jenna, everyone started to sing happy birthday, and Jennifer bent down the other side of Jenna giving Garrett a stern look seeing him looking at her.

The party was soon over, everyone was starting to leave Jennifer, and Garrett said their goodbyes then once the last guest had left Garrett started to clean up while Jennifer went and picked Jenna up taking her upstairs to give her a bath. Once cleaned and in her pyjamas Jennifer brought her back down stairs for dinner, placing Jenna in her high chair, she walked to the fridge and got out the baby food putting it into a bowl then giving it to her daughter who half ate half seared it all over her face making Jennifer laugh as she poured herself a glass of wine, she sat on the bench watching her daughter eat occasionally taking a sip of her drink when Garrett walked in looking pissed

"I can't believe you, choosing your precious magic over our daughter; I mean what mother does that?" he began pacing the kitchen then stopped on the other side and glared at his Jennifer.

"Really? You think I wanted to go to school today  and not spend the day with my beautiful daughter on her birthday and I thought you knew how important magic is to me and how much I want to be a fair god mother officially. you must not know me very well" Jennifer said raising her voice and tears threatening to fall

"I'm just telling the truth as it is, the truth hurts doesn't it Jen" sighing Garrett lowed his voice looking at his girl friend who had tears pouring down her cheeks "what are we going to do because I can't keep doing this Jen I really can't" Garrett stood for a moment in silence then walked up stairs to cool off , that's when Jennifer broke down, head in her hands crying hard for a good five minutes before slowly getting off the bench, picking up Jenna and going to bed.