Chapter 22

ALEXIS

I hummed along to the radio, bobbing my head and swaying my hips as I mixed the pancake batter together. For some reason, I was very happy this morning, and no, it didn't have to do with the fact that I woke up on top of Hudson.

"Good morning Alexis," Bradley's voice said from behind me. I turned around and smiled broadly, "Morning Bradley."

"You seem to be in a good mood today," he noted, raising an eyebrow. 

"It's just one of those days," I said, moving to sit next to him at the island, "What would you like on your pancakes?" 

"Strawberries please," he yawned.

I nodded and started to get to work on cutting up the fruit. As I did so, Bradley started patting his hand on the island as if he was looking for something.

"Have you seen my eyedrops anywhere?" 

I looked around and found them on the other side of the island, so I quickly leaned over and handed it to him, "Here you go."

"Thanks."

I watched him squeeze a drop of liquid into each eye and pursed my lips. 

There were so many questions burning up inside me, but I wasn't quite sure if it was appropriate to ask him. After all, we had just met yesterday. 

"Are you wondering about my eyes?" He asked, turning his head to face me. 

I swallowed slowly, "Was it that obvious?"

He chuckled, "You're not the first person to wonder about them. Although, I appreciate that you didn't ask me right off the bat. Most people do that when they first see me."

"It just seems....rude to ask."

"Perhaps, but some people are just like that. We can't help it. But anyway, to give you a sweet and simple answer, I was born blind."

I wasn't quite sure how to reply to that. I couldn't exactly say I was sorry because Bradley didn't seem to be upset about it. He actually seemed quite comfortable the way he was.

I hesitated to ask my next question, "If you ever got a chance to see again, would you take it?"

He sucked his bottom lip into his mouth and seemed to be in deep thought about my question. I almost thought he wasn't going to answer until he said, "I don't know. I've been blind my whole life so the thought of being able to see again is.....enticing, but at the same time, scary. I wouldn't know how to adjust to seeing after living in darkness for the past twenty-three years of my life. But I also don't want to sound ungrateful for the chance to be able to see. Not a lot of people get that."

"No, I get it. It would be like flipping your whole world upside down."

"Yep," he nodded, "now how about I cut the fruit and you start making the pancakes. I'm starving."

I laughed softly and pushed the cutting board towards him, "Knock yourself out."

While I was getting the pan out and waiting for it to heat up, Bradley called my name. He had a small smirk on his face as he shook his head in amusement, "I'm not an idiot, I know you were thinking about using your blood to heal my eyes."

I stared at him like a deer in the headlights. How could he have possibly guessed that I was thinking about that? 

He lifted his head for a moment to give me a genuine smile, "I appreciate the offer, Alexis. I really do. I hope I didn't offend you by not accepting it."