38. The Second Impression

Samantha Eden

I watch as he walks out of the door without even saying goodbye. Everything was going perfectly until my mother opened her mouth, even dad was trying to make him feel welcomed. I turn to glare at her.

"Why would you say that?" I ask looking at her while she continues her meal like nothing happened,

"Who you think you're talking to?" she retorts without even raising her voice, I look at my father who looks like he's between two minds of jumping in and staying out of it. He clears his throat and she looks up from her plate,

"He didn't sleep here, he just came here really early. He just went through a traumatic experience he probably just wanted someone to talk to" he says looking at her. She doesn't even look interested,

"You're not fair yuh know" I roll my eyes going to shower and go over there.

I hate how she behaves sometimes like only she can go through stuff and no one else has emotions.

Troy Stevens

I lie on the couch thinking about my grandfather, I grab my phone to call my mother to see how everything was going. As I sit waiting in anticipation the phone just rings and rings, when I was about to hang up I hear my mother's voice.

"Hi, sweetie" she answers,

"Hi, is everything ok?" I ask hearing the worry in my own voice,

"Everything is fine, he's up" she says happily,

"Is that Troy?" I hear in the background, my grandfather's heavy voice, "Why isn't he here?" he asked,

"Because you weren't in a good state" my mother says mothering her father,

"You always worrying, I knew I was fine" he argues on in the background and my mother groans. I'm so glad that he up and arguing, that means he's practically normal.

"How is your hand? Did you get something to eat?" she asks turning her attention back to me,

"My hand feels fine and I had breakfast at Sam's"

"That's good" she replies,

"It was fine until Sam's mother wasn't too pleased about me being there" I sigh, thinking about it. I mean I guess she doesn't like me but damn.

"You know that's your fault" she states plainly and I feel a slight bit of anger, "You made a bad impression on her and even on Sam, but Samantha got to know you, her mother didn't" the truth burns. Her mother will never accept me because of our first meeting but I'm a completely different person now compared to then.

Being in Barbados changed a lot, my mother and I came here to get a new environment. A healthy environment and it really helped. I have to thank Samantha for her presence in my life, everything thing about Barbados just made everything better.

"I know that's why she doesn't like me but that was-" a knock at the front door get my attention, "Someone at the door mum I'll call you back" I say hanging up going towards the door, the person knocks again, I pull the door open,

"Sam you didn't hav-" my words become lost as I realize it isn't Samantha but it is her mother.

I stand before her wide-eyed, and at a lost for words,

"Hello" is all I could get out,

"Are you going to let me in?" she says in a neutral tone,

"Sorry sorry" I say stepping aside for her to come in, she walks past me silently. It almost as if she didn't have any emotions whatsoever. The only time I saw emotion from her was on the plane. She takes a seat on the couch and I sit in the other chair opposite her. She remains quiet and I awkwardly play with the gauze on my hand.

"It has been brought to my attention that what I said was rude" she says finally looking at me, "I don't think it was rude" she continued.

Is this an apology?

I think trying not to laugh, "I'm not apologizing, I'm just clearing the air"

"Okay" I say nodding,

"I think you're a fairly nice young man, shitty attitude but fairly nice" she says bluntly, "You've been really good to Samantha and I like that, but I have a few concerns" she pauses before looking at me, "Samantha really likes you she probably loves you or thinks she loves you, but loves leaves you vulnerable, and makes you do stupid things, I don't want that for her. I don't want that she might end up like me, having to raise a child on my own" a weak smile comes across her face "I raised Sam to the best of my ability on my own, and I'd hate for her to fall into the same trap as I did. Yes, it was my fault that I did but I don't have her thinking that you're gonna be there for her when you're not because you too are figuring your life out" her words are strong and I listen attentively, "I like you for the most part just don't put my baby in any positions where she would feel vulnerable" I nod quietly before she smiles "She'll be here any minute but I just wanted to say that"

"Thanks for the words, I'll try my best"

"Don't try. Do your best, and if you don't I know where you live" she smiles before heading towards the door.