Accidents Happen

Contains mildish self-harm themes. Only read this if you are comfortable with this type of thing.

Taylor could swear that everything leading up to this moment was purely accidental. She was on her phone, tweeting about something strange her cat had done, when she accidentally pressed the notification button. He eyes had skimmed the page quickly, but her eyes soon became glued to the device, reading the words of fans and haters alike. It seemed like, no matter how many adoring messages you got, the hateful ones were the ones you tend to remember.

So, she accidentally picked up a blade and within minutes there were pink lines forming in her skin. The blonde had promised herself years ago that she wouldn't fall back to this. She knew it was wrong, so why was she doing it? The physical pain was momentarily distracting her from her reality and it was something she desperately needed right now.

Suddenly, she dropped the blade, realizing her mistake and coming back to consciousness. The first tear slid down her cheek, quickly followed by many more. Taylor sat there, desperate, hopeless, scared. It was during these times that she forgot about all the good things about her life, the things that make her feel alive.

As if on queue, her phone rang. Normally in as a fragile state as she is, she wouldn't have answered, but she was expecting a call from her label manager, so she went back to her bedroom to retrieve it. Without checking the caller ID, she pressed the green button and answered with a quiet "Hello?"

"Taylor?" oh no, it's Ed, he can't know how she's feeling, "Are you all right?

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine," she says while trying to dry her eyes.

"You don't sound fine," she sniffles, "Are you crying?"

"What? No, what would make you say that?" she asks, faking incredulousness.

"Yes you are, I'm coming over."

"No, no please don't, I'm still in my pajamas and --"

"Too late, my jacket's already on. See you in ten. Hang in there blondie."

And now she was stressed. She couldn't clean up and try to heal scars in the time she had. Usually she was thankful that Ed had a house in Nashville, but sometimes, not so much. So she sat on the couch while watching a rerun of a crime show, tissues to both wipe off her face and to try to stop the bleeding. It wasn't bad, but she sure as hell didn't want any stains on her new couch.

As promised, ten minutes later, a melodic knock on her door was heard. Taylor trudges through the house and opened the door, greeting her best friend with a sad smile. He pulled her in for a hug and she lost it, sobbing into his shoulder.

"Shh, it's alright, I'm here," he murmurs gently, not wanting to scare her in any way.

He pulls back gently, grabbing her arms as he does so. As he holds them, he notices that her skin doesn't seem as smooth as usual and looks down, surprised by the marks drawn on her arm.

"No, Taylor, please don't..." he trails off, still staring at her battered wrist.

"I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry. I didn't mean for it to happen, it's just --"

"It's okay, calm down, let me make you forget about tonight," and with that, Ed grabs her hand and leads her to the sofa, where they both lay down, Taylor's head resting on his chest and her feet dangling over the edge.

Accidents happen, like they did tonight, but she is always reminded that there is someone who loves her. And there is always someone who loves you. Please remember that.