Just a Kiss

Inspired by Just a Kiss by Lady Antebellum.

The only sound that could be heard was the cackling of the fire. It was late and Taylor and Ed both knew that they had to be up early the next morning, but they couldn't bear the thought of going to bed just yet. Their friends had all left to get some much needed sleep, but they were enjoying finally being together after a long evening.

The near silence was comforting. They didn't need to talk to enjoy each other's company. Taylor had her head on his shoulder, her hair draped down his back. His arm was around her waist. Both of their legs were spread out in front of them, their toes almost touching.

It had been weird between them recently. Not a bad weird though. They were a bit more awkward than usual, Ed would seem to blush more often. Taylor's laugh had been louder and she was always a bit hyper when she was with him.

Taylor knew she wasn't in love with him. A crush, maybe. The timing wasn't right, she knew that, but it didn't stop her from daydreaming about him. How they would fit together, the way he would look at her in the early hours of the morning, it was all a mystery and she was all too curious.

Ed knew he was in love with her. He had been for months, but he now just realized that the blonde might actually return his feelings. He would never tell her how he feels in fear of making her uncomfortable and possibly losing one of the best friendships he's ever had, but that didn't mean he didn't love her.

Suddenly, Taylor lifts her head of his shoulders and turns to him, searching for something, anything, in his eyes to indicate to her what was going through his mind. He seemed to be in deep thought, although she didn't know about what.

"Hey," she whispers, not wanting to speak too loud in fear of ruining the calmness that had settled around them, "Whatcha thinking about?"

"Us," he replies. He seemed surprised at himself for being so honest, but turns to meet her gaze nevertheless.

"And what about us?"

"I don't know," he sighs, "It's complicated."

"It's okay, you don't have to tell me if you don't want to," she leans in to kiss his cheek, but he turns at the last second and her lips land on his, catching them both by surprise.

Ed pulls back, embarrassment written across his handsome features, "I'm sorry - I didn't mean to - I'm so -"

But Taylor cuts him off by planting her lips on his again. This kiss is more sure than the last, but it's still shy. They stay that way for a few minutes, his hand on her waist and her fingers tangled in his hair before the both pull away, a little lightheaded and slightly out of breath.

"Don't be," she giggles, the sweet sound seeming louder because of the silence. "I don't want to go to fast."

"We won't, I promise. I'll always be here if you need me."

"I know," she murmurs, before taking his hand and leading him back inside for some much deserved sleep.