05. Get To Know Me {Part 1}

Zacznij od początku

(Karina Simmons)

(Karina Simmons)

"Oh my God! Jabri." Karina gasped, her mouth dropping when Jah revealed himself. She let herself in, quickly running her fingers through her hair, with the same shocked look on her face as she stared at him.

"What you doing here? I didn't know we had to meet today..." Jah asked skeptically. Jah was out of it but he wasn't too far gone to keep up with his PO appearances. He knew he had to see her twice a month but this was a sudden pop up. Since he's been dealing with her, he's never known her to do pop ups so he was worried.

"We didn't...but I'm glad that I did.  What happened to you?" She asked, her voice laced in concern. Jah clenched his jaw tightly as he prepared to bend his body to sit. "Who called you?" He dodged her question, asking one of his own. The only people who had direct contact with his PO was his parents and him. "Relax. I'm not here to arrest you Jabri. I came to check in because you haven't showed up to work in weeks. Your job called me." She explained to him as she placed her bag on the single chair, joining him on the longer couch.

"Now I see why you haven't been to work...should I be worried?" She asked as she examined him. Her face was full of sympathy and concern. Since she's been seeing Jabri, he's never wavered from the straight and narrow path he agreed to take. Karina didn't have to worry about him violating his probation. He showed up to every meeting faithfully, bringing his paper work with him too. Karina didn't understand how this happened because it was so sudden and she had no knowledge of it until now.

"Nah...I ain't doing no illegal shit out here. This was on some 'wrong place, wrong time' shit. I was out, bullets sounded, I tried to run but ended up getting hit." He lied cooly, licking over his lips as he glanced at her. Thankfully, the swelling in his lip had went down and it was back to normal. Otherwise, she would've saw right through his lie. The only wounds that were visible were the bandages on his shoulder and side which poked from the bottom of his white beater.

"And where were you hanging out at?" She pondered as she got up to grab a pen and pad from her bag. Jah blinked slowly, feeling his high kick in but he still frowned at her actions. "You gotta write that shit down?! Yo, you can leave. I ain't got time for you to be lying on my name to get me booked again." He gritted tightly as he stared at Karina with hard low eyes. Karina was shocked by his tone, causing her eyes to widen. She stopped writing to give him a confused yet disapproving look.

"What- Jabri, I am not here to hurt you. You've done nothing to be put away again. I simply came over because I was worried...and so were others. You've been shot for Christ's sake! Just calm down and talk to me." She rambled out, squinting her eyes at him. He was sitting up, both hands at his side as his head rested against the back of the couch. She could tell that something was up with him just by how he came off. He has never been aggressive with her during their meetings, so she didn't understand where this was coming from.

"I just told you. I can't work like this that's why I ain't been going. I can't do that shit at all no more, forreal. I got bills and they don't pay me." He lied again. He couldn't let it slip that he was getting paid when he wasn't supposed to be; as it was his 'duty' to the community. Jah was a blunt one and he always told the truth but when it came to his freedom, he'd say anything but that. "Okay...but your probation period is almost over. This is the job I have on file for you." She opened her notebook, flipping through papers. "I thought you liked it there?" She said. "I do but I need money...real money." He told her. Karina sighed and nodded in understanding.