Chapter 35 Dinner And A Movie

Amy and I rode the bus home because Eric and Kyle both had to go straight to work after school.

I agreed to walk to her house after I changed my clothes.

Mom was in the kitchen when I went in to get a cup of vamp tea as I called it. She had already heated water for tea. My cup sat on a mat alongside my jar of tea.

"Hey, sweetheart." She gave me a bright smile. Then she told me in a happy tone, "I have the rest of the day off, no papers to grade and no houses to show." She walked over to stand by the sink. "I say we go out to dinner, go see a movie, eat loads of popcorn and come home to eat ice cream with chocolate sauce."

I grin. "Really?"

She nodded as she smiled. "Really."

"Can I drink my tea, shower and change? I'll be fast." I gave her a hopeful smile.

"Sure. And I'll go look online and see what's playing." She turned and walked down the hall to the office. I finished making my tea and went to call Amy.

"Hey Ams. I know I was supposed to meet you at your house but mom's got the rest of the day off. She wants to hang out with me. You're not mad that I'm bailing on you, are you?" I sat my cup on the bedside table.

"No. It's cool. I got homework anyway."

"I'm sorry, Ams, really. I just don't get the chance to spend time with my mom very much." I pulled a pair of from the closet.

"I know. We can hang out tomorrow. We can order pizza." She added. I got the feeling she had planned on this tonight.

"That works for me." I picked a flowy pink shirt. I let my tone say exactly how much choice I thought she had. "I'll see you tomorrow at school. I got to go take a shower and get ready."

"I'll see ya, tomorrow. Have fun with your mom." She cheered.

I got ready as fast as I could but double conditioned my hair. I blow-dried my to cut my prep time. When I was finally ready I ran down the stairs. "Mom, I'm ready."

She met me at the bottom. "Okay. Jurassic World starts at 5:10, 6:50 and 7:20. If we go to the five o'clock showing we won't have time to eat first but if we go to the later showing we'll get home late. What do you think?"

"Umm..." I studied the ceiling as if I really had to think about it. "I'm hungry so I don't want to sit through two hours waiting for food." I shook my head. "I promise no matter what time we get home I'll get up for school."

"Okay, you better, young lady. What do you say to Gino's Pizza?" We started towards the door. Mom grabbed her purse.

"Can't. Amy plans on ordering pizza tomorrow night." I reached out to grab the locked car door.

"Okay." she flipped through her keys. When we finally slid in the car she suggested, "How about Chinese food?"

"Perfect." I buckled my belt and turned to her. "Should we call Dad and tell him we're going?"

"I did. But we do need to let him know where we're eating. Can you text him the name of the restaurant by the pharmacy?"

I didn't remember the name so I had to look it up online using mom's phone. I just messaged him a screen shot of page. Then I sent him a text.

Me: Dad I really, really hope you meet us for dinner. Then go to the movies with us. Mom pick Jurassic World. Steph

Dad: I'll try pumpkin. I'm in a meeting with a new client. He has crazy ideas about where rooms are supposed to go. Love you both.