Chapter 32-Stumbled

Icefall Academy
Icefall City
Arktis Skyland
Northern Space

A loud groan of pain filled the hallways as Knox stumbled out of the infirmary. Half of his mind listened to Healer Kura's instructions drifting through the open door, while the other half wandered on his frustrations.

"I almost had him!" he said. Solana inclined her head to the side, examining her nails in the process.

"That's the tenth time you said that," she said, tone dry and bored. "Have you got anything new on your tongue?"

Knox narrowed his eyes at his twin sister. The blonde though, was already immune to his glares so he opted to direct his anger on the cold grey floor.

"Parythian's in the lead because of my loss," he said.

"Finally," Solana said, "for a moment I thought your opponent knocked your head so hard that it only left the words 'I', 'almost', 'had', and 'him' in your vocabulary."

"You're supposed to be comforting me," he mumbled. As always, Solana's powerful hearing caught it.

"When are you going to realize that I am comforting you?"

"I hate you."

"I love you too, big brother."

He blew out a breath and the warm air formed a cloud of mist in front of him due to the cold. Maybe Solana's 'comfort' was helping him. His frustrations over the three-way match lessened, and his usual irritation for Solana's verbal jabs replaced it. As hard as it was to believe, being annoyed by Solana gave him comfort. It was probably a thing between siblings.

With a sigh to calm himself, he trailed behind Solana as they made their way out of the medical wing of Icefall Academy. He watched Dia crawling close to his sister, making him smile. He couldn't wait to see Uby once they leave the building. Icefall Academy also had the same size limit for the Draes inside the building, which is why Uby was forced to wait for him outside.

As they reached the lobby, Knox jerked when Solana let out a startled yelp. He turned to find Professor Linan's hand curled on the hood of Solana's jacket.

"You're coming with me, young lady," their lanky professor said. "I need your assistance with handing the dosage of the cure to the sick Draes."

"May I ask why me, Professor?" Solana asked, trying to get rid of the grumble out of her tone.

"Alec and Areisha have been gone since this morning, Rei and River escaped somewhere, and your brother has just gone through a battle," Linan said. "You're the only one fit for the job as of this moment."

Without further explanations, Professor Linan dragged Solana by her fur-trimmed hood toward the direction of the greenhouse. Knox resisted the urge to laugh at the way his sister's face contorted in restrained complaint.

"In other words I'm your last choice," Knox heard Solana whisper.

He allowed a small chuckle at that comment and waved at their retreating form. "See you later, my dear sister," he said. "Have fun."

Solana growled something out towards him in reply but she was too far away for him to hear. Whatever it was, he was sure that it wasn't pleasant. He spun on his heels and was soon out the door of the academy.

The moment he reached the bottom of the ginormous set of steps, something heavy knocked over his body and pinned him to the snowy ground. Before he could react, the familiar feeling of something wet and warm moving up his cheek invaded his sense of touch.

"Kosmos, Uby," he laughed, "you're going to kill me under your weight one of these days."

The Drae got off and assisted him to stand. As he rubbed the snow off his attire, his eyes couldn't help running over Uby.