Chapter 26- Happiness and Fear

Icefall Academy
Arktis Skyland
Northern Space

"Tell me again why I am still stuck with you?" Areisha asked him. Alec remained silent. An amused smile tugged at the corners of his lips as he watched her brows knit in annoyance. She looked adorable. When she glared at him, he forced the amusement off his face.

He heaved out a sigh before he decided to humor her rhetoric question. "Professor Linan and Doctor Warsen needs our help with the sick Draes. I need to calm them down and your Flame is needed to grow more herbs."

Without any more words, much less a glare, Areisha carried Emera, before walking off. "The sooner I'm done, the sooner I'm free from that bastard you like so much Emy," he heard her whisper to the green Draeling.

Alec looked down at his Draelings and his amusement returned. "She acts like she doesn't enjoy my company," he said. The replies he got were growls. He walked after Areisha. With his long strides, he caught up to her in a matter of seconds.

Students exiting their classrooms filled the grey hallways of Icefall Academy. Most looked up to watch the pair and their Draelings pass by. Some kept to themselves near the walls.

They turned a corner and he spotted the gate leading into the academy's greenhouse.

A small gloved hand clamped around his wrist. "Rou," a small voice said. "Alec-rou."

He turned around after Areisha did the same. The hand remained around his wrist, as he took in the young girl's appearance.

Her complexion and red attire allowed him to recognize her at once. Familiar russet eyes stared into his. The last time he saw them, they were filled with surprise and fear at Ferrin Lake during Water Conqueror. But now they were calm and...expectant?

"Philisa," he said, "I'm glad to see that you're out of the hospital. The cold water doesn't seem to have any severe effect on you."

Philisa released his hand from her hold before she bowed. Her short curly hair framed the sides of her round face.

"I thank you for saving me from the monster," she said. "I promise that I won't tell a soul that I saw it. The Council of Heavens has ordered it so."

He opened his mouth to tell the younger girl that she didn't need to sound so formal, but Areisha beat him to it.

"You don't have to be so formal around him, Philisa," she said. "He's a jerk who doesn't appreciate formality, even though sometimes he acts like a noble with a stick stuck up his―"

Alec cut her off by pinching her left cheek with two fingers. "Shut up, will you?" he said. Areisha growled at him to let go while he could hear Philisa's suppressed laughter. He eventually let go and flicked her reddening cheek. He then returned his attention on Philisa after receiving a withering look from Areisha. "What can I help you with?"

"I actually wanted to tell you something."

"Is it something private?" he asked while glancing at his brunette companion.

"It's up to you to decide whether to keep it private or not, ruo," she said. "It's about something I saw when you froze it and the lake."

Alec's brows creased in confusion. "All right, you can go ahead and tell me," he said. "Roselintine knows almost everything about my private life. She won't give a damn if she hears more."

"I can hear you," Areisha said. She was ignored.

He watched as the young girl took a deep breath before speaking. "My Sentiral Power is to see spirits and the memories they leave behind in people and places. Ones like me serve as their bridge to the physical realm."