Chapter 21-Ritual

Icefall Academy
Arktis Skyland
Northern Space

A smile tugged at Alec's lips when he flipped over to the next page of the photo album. There, he saw an image of his three year-old self and his brother, cheek to cheek, as they flashed a smile at the light-crima. One of his hands caressed the entire picture before two fingers lingered on Alen's face. His brother looked so young and without a care in the world in the image. Exactly like how Alec remembered him to be.

Turning to another part, a chuckle escaped him when he saw the two pictures. They were of him eating. First was his younger self chasing a small wooden spoon with his mouth as Vaneesa raised it close to his face. On the second picture, he apparently caught the spoon because he looked busy sucking and holding it like he didn't want to let go.

He was so immersed in the gift Vaneesa gave him that he failed to notice the man standing at the foot of his bed.

"I see that you're awake now."

Alec jerked and his head shot to the direction it came from. His pale blue eyes met russet ones.

"I'm sorry Healer Kura," Alec said. "I didn't notice you." He snapped the album closed and removed it from his lap and to the bedside table.

The healer gave him a warm smile. "It's all right Alec," Kura said. "Your birthday party from last night must've tired you so much you woke up late and almost failed to eat breakfast."

Alec gave a light laugh when his mind went back to the previous night. His friends had burst through the infirmary doors with a shout of "happy birthday" and were followed by their professors. It had startled them so much that he fell off the bed, while Areisha's rear connected with the floor from the stool she occupied. Gael jumped at the same time Vaneesa let out a loud cry which drowned out the shout of his friends.

Luckily, he was the only patient or it would've been a huge bother.

The incident was followed with laughter, singing, eating, and conversations that lasted till late that night. He even received presents. He had somehow expected that he'd get books, but was surprised that he didn't receive a single one despite it being the obvious thing to give him. However, he was still thankful. It was by far the best birthday he had ever had for the past nine years.

He snapped out of his memories when Kura spoke up. "How are you feeling?"

"I still feel a little sore, but otherwise I'm fine," Alec said. "I can at least lift my Draelings without my arms or my torso hurting."

At the mention of his Draelings, he felt movement from the foot of his bed. He looked and found his triplets rousing from their sleep, yawning and stretching their wings. A few moments later, they crawled over to him, asking for their heads to be petted. He obliged with a laugh.

"That's good then," Kura said. "Just rest here for one more day and you're free to go tomorrow morning after I remove your bandages. I'm sorry that you're going to miss Sky Racer. I was told that it was you who was supposed to participate today."

"Knox took my place, so I don't have to worry about it," he said. "Thank you for taking care of me." He bowed his head and the older man laughed with a wave of a hand.

"Not a problem Alec," Kura said. "It's my job."

The healer walked away and back to his desk found on the corner next to the door. Alec's full attention fell on his Draelings and he reached for the ticklish spots on their bellies. His laughter mixed with the sounds coming from the Draelings kept silence from engulfing the infirmary. From time to time, Kura lifted his head from the papers on his table to watch them with a smile on his face. The triplets eventually avoided his tickling and chose to curl up to him and purr.