Chapter 6-Fulfilling Promises

Town of Gelun
Arktis Skyland
Northern Space

"It's freezing!" Solana yelled with joy. She hugged her grey coat tighter around her frame and watched as a few men lower the wooden ramp to the wharf. Her eyes then focused on the pure white snow glistening under the light of the sun as it rose higher in the sky. Small buildings with roofs covered in snow stood before her. Ever since she was small, she dreamed of seeing snow up close. There were ice capped mountain in Northern Saggaran but her family never allowed her to go exploring in that region.

She turned to the small group of professors and students behind her and spoke. "Can I go play in the snow for a short while?"

They blinked at her before her best friend spoke. "Are you five years old?"

"Shut up Isha!" Solana whined at her. Chuckles erupted from her companions. One of them remained silent though, catching her attention at once. Alec stood a few feet away from the others, gazing out in to the semi-bustling town of Gelun. She failed to recognize the kind of emotion showing through his cerulean eyes. She took slow strides toward him and placed a gentle hand on his back. Alec jerked a bit and whirled his attention to her.

"You alright, Lec?" she asked him. His eyelids blinked rapidly before a small smile graced his features.

"I'm fine," he said. His attention fell back on the town and his previous expression returned. "Professors, when is our ride for Icefall City arriving?"

Gael took the liberty of answering and Alec approached him. "It will be arriving in more or less than two hours. Are you going somewhere?"

"Yeah," Alec said. "I'll be back quickly." He reached up and pulled the hood of his black fur-trimmed jacket over his head.

"Alright, just be careful."

Alec moved passed her toward the ramp. He paused halfway down when she yelled after him. After angling his body to face her, he raised a brow.

"Can I go with you?" she asked. She knew her brother would protest and she only sighed when she heard him speak.

"Lana, you can't," he said. "You're not used to the climate yet and you might get sick again. You know your condition."

"I know," she said with a huff. She was about to head for her cabin and sulk there when a voice made her stop.

"You can go, Lana. Just be careful," she heard her grandfather say. Donovan emerged from the door leading below deck and walked up to her. He placed a gloved hand on top of her head and stroked her blonde hair. "That is if Alec doesn't mind."

Her spirits lifted and she spun on her heel to face Alec. The young man had a small smile of amusement on his face as he watched her. "Come on," Alec said and inclined his head toward the town. "Anyone else want to come along?"

"Pass," Areisha said and hugged herself while shaking a bit. "It's still too cold for me." Almost similar responses came from the others. She smiled at them and shook her head. As she hugged her grandfather, she mumbled a thank you.

She broke away and ran the length of the incline to go after Alec who went ahead. He waited on the stone pier for her. Her gaze scanned the Gelun's busy Flying Docks before her grandfather's voice caught her attention again. She and Alec looked up at Silver Sky Voyager.

"Keep her out of trouble Alec!" Donovan said. She heard Alec chuckle, before she felt his hand patting the top of her head.

"I will, headmaster," he said. "Let's go Lana."

Solana fell into step next to Alec as they exited the docks. Her eyes immediately took in the structures that make up Gelun. Buildings that stood no more than three stories tall would tower a couple of smaller ones. People donned in thick clothing filed around, going from one stall or building carrying reed woven bags.