Chapter 11-First Glance

Icefall Academy
Arktis Skyland
Northern Space

The darkness of the tunnel engulfed them as they exited the sanctuary. After two hours, Linan had finished helping Dr. Warsen treat the injured Drae. Warsen had stayed behind and insisted that they return to their inn. Gael watched with an amused smile as Linan stretched his long thin arms overhead. A groan escaped his friend's face as he pushed his glasses up his nose.

"Of all the qualified people in this academy, why was I chosen to respond to that emergency," Linan said. "I was really hoping that I would've only done some work on the day for Sky Racer."

"Oh come on Linan," Gael said, "I know you don't know mean that. When you heard there was an injured Drae you were the first to exit the meeting."

A sharp pain on the back of his head caused a hiss to escape his lips. He turned around to find that Linan had stopped and was glaring at him with his arms crossed in front of his chest. For a thin man, he could pack a punch.

"No I wasn't," Linan said.

"Deny, deny all you want Lin."

"Grow up Gael."

He ended up laughing as they emerged from the tunnel. Silence lingered in the air between the two of them as they followed the snowy path, eventually exiting the Icefall Academy grounds. Icefall City was busiest in the afternoon, with more people walking about the streets than earlier that morning. As they passed stores selling a variety of goods, Gael turned to Linan.

"What's a good gift to give to a young man who is turning nineteen?" he asked.

Linan glanced at him from the corner of his before he spoke. "If it's for Alec just give him a book to read. I'm sure he'll love that."

"That's too common already. I think the other kids have thought about that," Gael said. "I want something different."

"You know him best so quit bothering me and don't ask for suggestions that you won't even consider," Linan snapped at him.

"Calm down would you?" Gael said.

"If you quit talking, I will."

"All right, I'll shut up," he said. As they walked, the only sound surrounding them was the chatter and yells of the Arktins going about their business. His brows rose when Linan was the one to shatter the silence between them.

"Gael," he said, "have you noticed something about Alec's Sentiral Power?"

His head turned to the man, and raised he tilted his head in confusion. "Like what?"

"Like how the Sentiral Stone doesn't seem enough to seal it."

Gael looked back to his front and his shoulders squared from its slouched position. He had thought about Alec's power more than once. During those times, he debated whether his ability was just too powerful for a stone or...taming Draes wasn't his power at all.

"During my classes, I always have him completely seal his ability. However, the Draes still act the same toward him," Linan snapped him out of his thoughts. "Sometimes I think his ability is just too powerful for a Sentiral Stone or...we made a mistake."

"Are you saying that his power isn't what we think it is? Because if that's what you're saying then I've had the same thoughts," Gael said.

He and Linan looked ahead as they let their thoughts wander in their minds. Alec was quite a puzzle, and if Linan knew about the young man's situation he'll be just as eager to solve the mysteries shrouding him like those who already knew.