Masquerade (Niall - one shot)

Start from the beginning

“Emily,” she replied shyly. “And I’m okay. Nothing important. Thanks.” And there it was, that fake smile that didn’t reach her beautiful eyes.

“It must be important if it makes you this sad. Do you know that even if you smile, it’s obvious you’re not okay?” Niall asked smiling and leaning closer to her. “Wanna talk about it?” offered the blond boy, his own blue eyes fixed on hers.

“I rather not,” Emily responded in a small voice and he just wanted to make her smile, for real, to take away all her pain.

“Do you wanna forget about it, then?” He insisted and she looked confused again. “Dance with me,” required Niall smiling brightly. “Dance with me tonight and I promise I’ll do anything in my power to make you forget about whatever it makes you sad right now.”

She looked at him pondering his offer and he waited patiently till she smiled weakly. “You can try,” she whispered taking the hand he was holding for her.

Niall smiled widely as he led her to the dance floor where many couples were already dancing. He felt already like a champion just because he made her to accept to dance with him. Now he only had to make her smile and laugh.

.

By the end of the night, Niall and Emily were laughing and having such a great time. She completely forgot why she was sad in the first place, she only wanted to stay there forever with the boy who had taken all her worries away and who brought her happiness when she needed it the most.

He was incredible, hilarious, cute, caring, adorable, cheeky sometimes, a bit naïve and good-hearted. He had the most beautiful blue eyes that were always looking into hers. He was several inches taller than her with blond hair and his smile reminded her of someone, but as they never took their masks, she couldn’t know if she had seen him before or not.

They were outside in the gardens enjoying of the lovely summer night when she noticed it was really late and her mother was probably looking for her. “I gotta go,” she told him and the beautiful and cute smile disappeared. It seemed that she wasn’t the only one who didn’t want that moment to end.

“Aye,” he replied in that sexy Irish accent. “I guess you have to come back, it’s pretty late, after all,” he added checking the watch in his wrist. “I’ll walk you back inside.”

She just nodded but didn’t move as he stood up and held his hand to help her to stand up too. She smiled and took it and as she did, they were face to face, a few inches away and her heart started to race.

“Emily… I’m gonna do something that might get you really angry. Please, forgive me,” he said in a whispered and she just arched her eyebrows not knowing what he was talking about, till he crushed his lips to her while his arms wrapped her waist and pulled her closer. She tensed due to the surprise, but it didn’t take her too long to get over it and kiss him back.

They pulled back a few minutes later, hearts beating like crazy and wide grins on their faces. “Sorry?” he said smiling and she giggled.

“Totally forgiven,” she said before standing on her tiptoes and pecking his lips one more time. Yes, they barely knew each other, they haven’t seen their faces, but they made a connection that night and in that moment, it was the only thing that matters to Emily.

.

Next morning Emily woke up with a mixture of feelings in her guts. She remembered that the day before she just broke up with her ex boyfriend and it still hurt, but she also remembered that the night before she had met the most wonderful boy who just promised to call her. Was he going to do it?

As she made her way to the kitchen where her parents were already having breakfast, she heard the bell rang. She was still in her PJs as it was Saturday, but she didn’t care. Probably it was her best friend who was dead worried about her.

Emily walked to the door and when she opened she almost had a heart attack. Niall Horan was standing in front of her with this cute smile looking so gorgeous while she was made a whole disaster. When he saw her, his smile grew bigger but Emily couldn’t talk, couldn’t even breathe! What was going on?

“Hi, Emily. It’s nice to see you without the mask. As beautiful as I thought,” he said and her heart literally stopped.

Niall Horan couldn’t be the same Niall she met the night before. But his smile was the same, his eyes were the same, his voice, his accent and the way he was looking at her.

“Sorry for not telling you before about who I am. Hope you don’t mind and I was wondering maybe you would like to go out with me?”

He seemed so relaxed, like everything was normal when she was freaking out. “I-I-I-I-I… I…” Niall just laughed and she felt her cheeks blushing. “Is this a sort of joke? It’s not funny!”

“It’s not. I told you I was gonna call you, but I assumed it was better to come and ask you personally. I had to ask my uncle to give me the address of your dad as they’re colleagues.” He smiled again. “So, what do you say?”

Emily still couldn’t believe what was going on. She couldn’t believe the boy she met the night before was the only one Niall Horan from One Direction. She laughed while nodding. And think of that I didn’t want to go at first. Well, she definitely was happy that she didn’t stay at home that night.