CHAPTER ELEVEN

Depuis le début

Betty seems so caring. I love her energy. "Enjoy dress shopping," I say back.

She snorts. "I can already tell it's going to be a nightmare. Delilah has changed her mind twice already."

"I suppose it's a once in a lifetime thing. Your wedding, I mean," I respond, feeling slightly put on the spot.

I'm no good with people.

"Oh, totally. I'm sure she'll tell you all about it on our girly day. I'll text you the details. Bye, Tilly."

Not long after I put the phone down, Levi comes shuffling into the room - I gave him my key. I meet him halfway, trying to get the plastic wrapped up pasting table from his struggling arms. The carrier bag is bulging again and I spot two big bags of crisps hanging over the edges.

"It's hungry work," he says, seeing where I'm staring. "And, they were two for a pound. Fuck yes to that price."

I snort. "Did they have the paste?"

"Yeah," he crouches down, hair now tied up in a messy bun as the paint kept  getting into it. "I got a few boxes."

I start unwrapping the table. "Can you wallpaper a wall? I know it's supposed to be hard."

"I'll give anything a go. If all else fails I'll YouTube it."

"Do you have a lot of patience? 'Cos, I think you'll need it," I smirk.

Levi starts to open the box of paste. "Nah, to be honest, I'm probably the worst kind of guy to be doing it."

"Oh, God," I laugh, getting louder when he joins in.

I can see this going wrong before we've even started. Finding an old bucket in my store cupboard, I fill it with water, sprinkling the paste powder into it, stirring until it turns into gloop.

"You have to cut the paper?" he all but shouts when I walk back into the room, face screwed up. "Oh, Christ. What have I got myself into here?"

I frown. "Yeah, of course you do. Not every wall is going to be the same size, Levi."

I can see his patience melting away already. "Do you have scissors?"

I head back out of the bedroom, trying not to stare too hard at the way he's rolled up his jumper, showing off his toned, porcelain arms. "I'll go check."

Levi

I'm losing my mind. How the hell do you get wallpaper to stick to a wall without sliding everywhere? I press the paper onto the wall with a hard slap as part of the top starts to peel away and smack me on top of my head. Tilly is doing her best to help, but I think we're both ready to give up. Thank the lord she agreed with my suggestion of  a feature wall.

"It's not lined up at the edges," Tilly lets me know, and it takes all my energy not to snap.

I try to get it to align again. "It keeps sliding everywhere."

Tilly cuts in front of me. "Maybe you put on too much paste. It does look wet in the middle."

"Why the hell did I buy wallpaper?" I respond, watching her tiny hands take over, the paper ripping in the middle.