Alluring In Blood -19

Start from the beginning

       I sputtered, “But what if he took you again, you saw how easy he had you. I can’t risk that chance with anybody else.”  I knew promises in the supernatural are different from the human world. Break it and you die, as simple as that.

       “You almost promised me in Paradise.” Landon tossed back smugly. I frowned at the faint memory of Paradise, it was the reason that stopped me from working with Devin but I never completed the promise and I had Landon back so why should I care for the Paradise moment?

      I closed my eyes when I figured it out. “You know there is a chance he’ll find us.” I knew we had no chance but hearing it from Landon thinking so just blew the tiny hope that I had. “No chance Landon, I made mistakes with angering him for that stupid uncompleted promise. He had you with him the entire time he had me, didn’t he?”

      Landon hesitated before shaking his head, he never can lie with words. The siren must have sold him or Devin took him forcefully, knowing having Landon held hostage will push me to work for him. “If I agreed with working for him, you would still be with him. OK, I guess the promise saved your life in a way. For short term anyway, in a long term it’s not in our favor.”

      “You know what? I’m confused now.” Landon said frowning. “You won’t take the promise then.” I shook my head and tried to gather my unfocused thoughts to explain. “If I do take the promise, I’ll lose you. If I don’t, I’ll have a chance to keep you even if the chances are small of us escaping again if we ever we’re captured. I could just say yes to Devin if he offers again and our fairy-tale ending is for us to keep.”

If we still feel for each other to want that ending.

     “He’s the devil, why would you believe him?” Landon asked accusingly. “I don’t but I’m part of him, do you believe me?” I muttered, trying to confuse him to end the conversation.

     “Yes.” And my wish came true. We sat in silence when I noticed something different. Every sound was twice as loud. Leaves rustling, bugs clicking, even the flies wings beating was heard, and Landon’s heartbeat. Irregular and off-track.

I stood up smiling and invited Landon to walk to the courtyard.  

     “Promise me you’ll never do anything to help me. Promise me you won’t work for Devin. Promise me you’ll love me till death do us part. Promise me you’ll never go to the dark side.” Landon whispered under his breath. I heard him though and ignored him as we walked back to the courtyard, hoping he’s not reciting the promises he wants me to take. 

     I stopped and spun around to grab Landon and screamed, “How did he get those screams if he can’t enter these walls how did he get them?”

    Landon looked downright guilty as he avoided my eyes. “I…he ordered me to enter their dreams and get Julian along to grant their worst fears while they were asleep.” I shook my head, not hiding my disgust.

“My gifts are Dream Incarnation and Cloud 9.”

I gaped at him, both with disgust and admiration. “Cloud 9 would be?”

      “When I want I send out waves of elation that make you feel floating with happiness. Sappy gift in my opinion totally not for a man like myself, don’t you agree.” I snorted out a laugh, not wanting to agree and feeling like my old love-struck self as I usually am around Landon.

      It didn’t last long because the next minute I shoved him back angrily then looked down and noticed my the blood on my hands in horror. Looking up, I saw the spot excatly where I shoved Landon's heart is beating just as bloody as my hands.