"But you're not fully healed yet. If you'd just let me focus, I know I can—"

"No, Aimee." He said. "The more you use your magic, the more people like Stefan can track you. Thank you, though."

"Fine. At least let me finish cleaning you up."

"If you want an excuse to touch my half naked body there are better ways of asking."

He was halfhearted in his teasing but I still made a face.

"Don't flatter yourself."

He smiled as I tore off the blood soaked towels from the bed, laying down clean ones for him to sit on.

He scooted back on the bed and towards the frame, using it as a support.

Satisfied with my handiwork, I stepped back and claimed a seat on the couch across from him. I wrapped my arms around my knees and observing the steady rise and fall of his chest.

This entire night had been insane.

From discovering that I could heal people to the information Brandon had shared about the Verlacs.

This meant I finally had a clue, a breadcrumb as to where my family might be.

It just happened to really suck that Stefan, that red-eyed psychopath had shown up when he had otherwise Christian and I would have been half way to Italy by now.

I shuddered to think of what might have happened if Christian and Brandon hadn't showed up when they had.

I remember him saying more vampires would come for my powers, back when he'd just revealed this insane world to me.

At first I hadn't believed it but after tonight's events, I knew it to be true.

"That Stefan guy, he's a vampire too?"

"Yes," He responded.

"Why did he say I belonged to him?"

"Henric and Stefan have a rocky past. Stefan believes he should be king of all Vampire kind,  that Soulsuckers are the superior beings. My guess is he has declared this moronic claim on you because he needs your power."

But what could Stefan possibly accomplish with a few bursts of healing magic?

"How can someone destroy a species with healing magic?"

"Aimee," He said gently. "Your power is so much more than just healing. There are things Hybrids can do...things that would bring men to their knees. If he'd succeeded in taking you...it would mean the end of my people."

"Damn it," I muttered. "I thought it was because I could heal anyone. I thought that's why people would hunt me for my powers."

He tensed ever so slightly but I noticed it.

He must still be in so much pain. Stupid, stubborn man.

"I mean, who wouldn't want to have access to something like this?" I explained.

He dragged his eyes open to look at me and I glanced away to study my seemingly normal hands.

They looked ordinary enough with long, thin fingers and chipped purple nail polish.

Nothing about them appeared supernatural.

"To have someone heal you with just one touch... imagine what people would do for that sort of power?"

"People have killed for much less, it's true. But that doesn't mean they have a right to your power."

"Don't you think it's selfish though? Keeping it all to myself when so many others are out there suffering?"

Christian scanned my face, something in his steady blue gaze making me want to look away.

"It's not your job to save the world."

"Says the guy with the white knight complex."

He scoffed. "I am not that noble. Trust me."

Or don't trust him, my mind said.

My eyes fell to the carpet with its patterned rug of crisscrossed lines in earth tone colors.

"What is it?" He asked

"Nothing..." I trailed.

"Hmm." He mused, not buying it.

My eyes followed him across the room as he stood slowly and made the painstaking walk to the phone across the room.

"I'm ordering food." He explained. "I think we both could use it."

I waited until he was done giving the hotel employee room service instructions before blurting what had been nagging at me all night. The words I was really meaning to say.

"Stefan said I couldn't trust you."

Without turning to look at me, he responded.

"Of course he did. Stefan would say anything to get you to leave with him."

"Well, Damian said the same."

This gave Christian pause.

He bent over and picked a t-shirt out of his suitcase.

"And why is that?" He asked, his back still to me.

"I was hoping you could tell me."

"You expect me to know why your boyfriend doesn't trust me?"

The clipping tone in his voice was back.

I bit the inside of my cheek, trying hard not to get angry.

"Damian isn't—"

"Let me stop you right there" He said as he swung around to fix me with a glare. "No man looks at a woman as beautiful as you and decides he's going to be just her friend. It's obvious he said that because he's jealous."

Ignoring his comment about me being beautiful, I pressed on.

"But it's true that I don't really know who you are." I stated. "I don't know anything about you except what you've told me."

...and that could all be lies.

"I suppose but I don't really know who you are either."

"Sure you do." I pressed. "You can read my mind."

Christian smirked though it didn't reach his eyes.

"Well that's not how it works, darling."