Four | Axel Mortmain

^aesthetic for book above, made by me :) note; if you'd like to make anything, or any form of art of whatever for this book you can just inform me and i'll feature it here while also crediting you!! ;D

note; if you'd like to make anything, or any form of art of whatever for this book you can just inform me and i'll feature it here while also crediting you!! ;D

Word Count: 1002

"Tessa?" a voice sounded out, breaking the flashbacks that were replaying themselves in Tessa's mind.

It was Clary.

"Are you okay?" she asked, an expression of worry plastered on the shorter girl's face.

"I'm fine," Tessa said, trying as hard as she could to muster a small smile to reassure Clary, though she wasn't fooling anyone. "Really," she added, which Clary just shrugged as a response, though it didn't clear her doubts.

After a couple of whistles, the teacher managed to gather the class, informing them that they'd be playing volleyball this semester. Great, Tessa thought, she could expect a lot of visits to the nurse's office from the ball smacking her head "by accident" with him around.

After Clary left to grab something she forgot in the lockers, Tessa snapped out of her gaze and decided to follow Clary.

Get a grip on yourself, she thought to herself.

All of a sudden, a yelp of surprise and pain escaped Tessa's lips, and she turned only to find herself face to face with him. He yanked at the back of her shirt. "Where are you going, Tessie?" he asked in a mocking tone, making fun of the nickname Nate used to call her, "Back to safety with your red-head friend?" His voice boomed through her ears as she tried squirming out of his hold, but to no avail. His menacing, stone-like grey eyes bore into her soul, as if searching for her fears to use them against her. His grey eyes weren't like hers, his were cold, vicious, and relentless, while hers were usually warm, like the ocean, a stormy grey colour.

"No," she seethed through gritted teeth. "What are you doing here, anyway, Mortmain?" her tone when speaking his name was filled with disgust, as if regarding him for anything but human. "Shouldn't you be with the others, those who are actually of the same age as you? What, did you flunk everything and that's why you're here?" she retorted, scowling at him.

Axel Mortmain. Her ex-bully. Okay, maybe, still current bully, but they went way back. Way back, meaning, him gathering those goons and cowards that chose to side him, to bully her. Tessa's perception of the term "bully" had changed—drastically—over the years. She used to be fine, with two best friends at her side, before they came. Like starved vultures, they swooped down from the sky and picked everything that once belonged to Tessa. Her friends, her social life, her pride, all gone, because they chose her to pick on.

"You're going to be sorry for ever opening your mouth, dearest Tessie," he said, dropping her back down on her two (wobbly) feet, looking like a predator about to capture its prey.